three | long walks on the beach in april

1842 words

The next week at school, you were walking down the central senior school hall when a voice called out behind you.

"Hey guys, wait up!"

You and Chenle stopped walking and turned around to find a sweet eye smile following behind you and waving you down.

"Jeno! What's up?" you called while the tall dark-haired boy made his way closer to you.

Jeno, along with some other boys, was another one of the friends you had made since moving. You had become particularly close with him and Renjun, thanks to group projects in Chemistry. They were your go-to's for partner projects, and occasionally Jaemin stepped in too when you needed even numbers. They were all really sweet boys, so it wasn't uncommon for you and Chenle to hang out with them at lunchtime too.

"It's my birthday this weekend, and I was hoping to get a few friends together for a small celebration. Do you guys wanna come?" Jeno invited, shuffling his heavy pile of books around in his grip.

"Sure! Who else is coming?" Chenle asked.

"It'll be you guys, Renjun, Jaemin, and a couple of my other friends. Do you know Jisung and Donghyuck?"

"Oh yeah, they're in my psych class!" you nodded along, remembering their faces at the sound of their names despite not knowing them super well. Chenle nodded as well, saying something about how he was good friends with Jisung too.

"Cool, it's probably just going to be a day at the beach down Main street," Jeno explained. "Saturday, that is."

"I'll be there!" You agreed, Chenle joining in with an excited smile.

"Awesome, see you 'round." Jeno sent the two of you one last smile before turning and heading down the left corridor.

"Jeno's kind of cute, don't you think?" You comment, looking at Chenle. At your words, Chenle's ears turned a noticeably deep shade of red, his eyebrows furrowing slightly despite him trying to hide his expression. You couldn't help but chuckle at his reaction. "Don't worry, Lele. I don't like him like that, I was just making a comment." Chenle lifted his head up and gave you the classic 'really?'  look, eyebrows raised forming soft crinkles on his forehead. "If I'm not going to go out with you, I'm not going to go out with anyone else. Trust me," you reassured.

"Why not?"

You hesitated to answer. You didn't mind Chenle knowing, but it was hard to talk about. Especially at school, you could break at any moment and it would be embarrassing having to clean your own tears up in front of everybody. Chenle noticed your discomfort straight away.

"You don't have to tell me," he muttered.

"No, I will," you paused. "Just not now, not here at least," you said, looking around.

Chenle nodded understandingly and the two of you kept walking until you reached your english classroom before heading in.

-

"Jeno! Happy birthday!" You called upon finding the boys running around on the hot sand, trying to splash each other with the seawater. You put your things on the sand and handed him a small gift bag, fit with chocolates and a new CD and pulled him in for a hug before greeting the other boys. Chenle had already arrived, and you had come just in time to watch him rip off his shirt before picking Jisung up and carrying him deep into the water.