prologue

588 words

"I know, I know," you repeated again to your worrying mother, who stood behind you giving you endless instructions and reminders about your day as you let yourself through the front door.

"Be good!" She called out again, blowing you one last kiss through the air. You sent back a sweet smile and a nod, and readjusted the bulky bag on your back, making your way through the gate and down the street.

You had moved into your new neighbourhood about two weeks earlier, and today was your first day at your new school. Sure, you were a little nervous, but you were confident enough in being able to make friends and fit yourself in with everyone else. You were only an hour or two from your old hometown, so things wouldn't be too different, meaning it shouldn't take too much to adjust to everyone else's way of life in your new town.

After a short ten-minute walk, you arrived in front of a pair of tall gates bordering the campus. Taking in a light breath while an intimidatingly large building stood before you dulling your confidence slightly, you pulled yourself through and made your way to the front office where you were met with a shiny pair of eyes sat behind a desk at reception.

"Hi sweets, how can I help?" The lady greeted with a warm smile.

"Hi! I'm [y/n], it's my first day here today. I just moved," you introduced yourself calmly, trying to hide your nervously shaking wrist behind the counter.

"Of course!" The lady said again. "I've been waiting for you. Here's your timetable, you'll find the room number above each classroom door. Would you like a map to help you find your way around?"

"I should be fine, thank you!" You took the sheet of paper from the lady's hand and scanned it over to see your first set of classes for the day.

"Okay! Well, you're all set. If you ever need any help finding your way around or come across any trouble, don't hesitate to ask for assistance." The lady gave you one last smile while you nodded in reply, and focussed her eyes back on the computer screen that sat in front of her to resume her work.

The first class on your timetable read as 'HISTORY, SS1.2.8'.

Eventually, you found your way to the senior school building. You walked inside the classroom with a few minutes to spare before class officially started, praying you had come to the right place. You met eyes with a middle-aged man sat behind a short desk, glasses sat low on the bridge of his nose. Pushing them back up to sit in front of his eyes, he lifted his hand to give you a wave.

"You must be [y/n]!" he said, his booming voice nearly echoing right down the corridor behind you. You nodded shyly, clutching on to the bag still swung over your shoulder.

The class lowered their volume at your entrance, and whispers found their way through your ears while everyone's eyes locked themselves on you.

You sent your class a shy smile, before looking back again at your teacher hoping he could understand your 'what do I do now' thought, somehow telepathically.

"I'm Mr. Ho, welcome to our class." Mr. Ho scanned his eyes over the seating arrangement, and gestured towards an empty desk at the back of the class. "You can sit over there, if you like. I'm sure Chenle won't mind, will he?"