His Breaking Point

Everything was a blur to Hiccup once the paramedics arrived and took Astrid to the hospital. He just remembered staring blankly at the distance where the ambulance left, before walking aimlessly ahead. It was only through sheer memory that he made it back home, having no awareness around him. All his senses were gone, leaving him somewhat of an empty shell.

Once he entered the house, he immediately walked upstairs. He didn't reply to Stoick's call, not that he heard him. He walked into his room, mindlessly turning on the light. It was there when everything happened came flooding back to his mind.

He couldn't stop his tears from falling again, more so than before as he fell onto his knees, resting his arms on the edge of the bed and burying his face into it. The room was silent, with only his sobs filling the space.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Easter Holidays came to an end and with it, the month of May, bringing the temperature to rise more for the middle of the Spring season. But even with the warm weather, the atmosphere at Berk Secondary School was anything but.

News about Astrid spread like wildfire, and with it, the news that Hiccup was there when it happened. Naturally, students went to try and get answers from him, but he didn't answer to them. He didn't even look at them, and during lessons, where he was normally a tad bit active, he barely did his work. He barely asked any questions to the teacher or participated in activities. He just went about the school day with a blank, lifeless stare on his face, walking sluggishly everywhere he went like a massive weight was holding him down. It was like he resorted back to his reclusive personality, but only 10 times worst.

Soon, lunchtime came about, and Hiccup found himself sitting in the common room, even though he would normally be sitting outside on a table away from everyone, reading his book. Now he really was away from anyone as the room was empty. He had his arms resting on the table while his head was placed on top, completely still.

He felt like he was a shell of his former self, like his mind was barely in the present and only in the past, still replaying that night over and over again. A bright smile lit up by fireworks suddenly turning into a motionless one on the blink of death.

Even though the incident happened four days ago, Hiccup didn't hear anything from Astrid and whether she was recovering well. He worked up the courage to visit her two days ago but was informed that she was not in the right place for visitors other than her family member. He could still remember the feeling of his stomach sinking from the news, at how different this situation was compared to the first time he visited her.

That only meant one thing to him– her illness had gotten worst. Worst than he could possibly imagine. And it made him scared. He never felt this scared and he hated it.

He tightened his grip on his arms, as the memory continued to torment his mind. He didn't even noticed that lunchtime was coming to an end, as some students began to enter the common room, filling the space with attendance and noise, but Hiccup didn't hear anything. He focused on himself, trying to stop himself from thinking for just one minute, but to no prevail.

"She's going to be OK." He continuously repeated in a whisper. Whether he truly believed or not, he didn't care. He felt his body starting to shake as he whispered. "She's going to be fine. She had been before. She'll be fine. She'll be fine. She'll... be fine..."

Suddenly, a loud bang cut through the sound barrier he had for himself, startling him and causing him to sit right up, with wide eyes of shock. At that moment, he instantly regretted doing so. 

Heather stood opposite the table he was on, with her hands flat on the surface, looking straight at him. Her expression was full of angry and desperation, more than normal on her. Hiccup quickly brought his eyes to the floor, unable to look at her straight in the eye like usual.