C13: More Decisions

I could literally feel the tension in the air as James told me the horrible news. I felt the shock take over me as I held back tears. I couldn't cry, I just couldn't. Not now, not here. Not with Kendall watching.

"But he just told me..." I tried to deny everything. James could be wrong. I glanced over at Carlos; I saw that his face went pale while Kendall was talking. James gave me a sympathetic look. "...why would he lie to me?" I sat down next to James. The seats in here seemed hard and uncomfortable, but that was probably because everything seemed that way right now.

"To protect you, I'm sure."

"Well, he said he didn't remember what happened. Maybe he just forgot?..." I asked. I was more trying to convince myself than James. "Or maybe the doctor is wrong."

"Emily, I don't think you can accidentally make a U-turn in the middle of a highway," James said.

"Well Kendall never was the best driver," I stated, trying to lighten the mood.

"Emily..." James pulled me in for a hug, rubbing small circles in my back. It was oddly comforting, but I still couldn't shake the horrible feeling I had in the pit of my stomach.

"But-" I started, even though I didn't know what to say. Kendall had attempted suicide, and it was all my fault. I couldn't cry or be mad or anything; now wasn't the time for that. I had to stay strong for Kendall.

Who knew being engaged had so many consequences?

Carlos came back to sit by me, while James went to talk to Kendall. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but it didn't look like they were happy.

"What do I do now?" I muttered to no one in particular, even though Carlos was the only one who was in earshot.

"I don't know," he sighed.

I turned towards Carlos, letting him know that I'm open for conversation. He looked like he had been crying--scratch that, bawling. Tears stained his cheeks and his eyes were all red and puffy.

"Aw, Carlos," I said and held him really tight. He didn't say anything, but I could tell he was all cried out and the last thing he wanted was for me to see him crying.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"Please don't be sorry, Carlos," I said.

"But I am," he stated. We sat there, still hugging, for a few minutes before Carlos pulled away and smiled. He looked so happy when he smiled; I couldn't help but smile back.

"I want to see Logan," I said.

"Me too, kid." Carlos rubbed my back.

"I wish this never happened," I whispered.

"Wish what never happened?"

"Us getting engaged, Logan telling Kendall, Kendall getting in the car....accident, Logan freaking out and then fainting. All of this."

"Everything happens for a reason, Emily."

I paused. "I just wish I knew what the reason was."

"Maybe something good will come out of this."

"What could possibly be good about all this?" I tried to laugh, but it came out sounding more like I was choking back tears, which I was. Carlos tried to smile too, but it resulted the same as mine.

"Maybe...Kendall will meet a cute nurse and fall in love." Carlos glanced out the door, his eyes followed a nurse walking past. "Or maybe I'll meet a cute nurse and fall in love..." I rolled my eyes. "And maybe Logan and Kendall will make up. I don't know, I can't predict the future. But I just have this gut feeling that something good HAS to happen today."

"I hope you're right." We sat in silence for a while.

"I have to call off the engagement, don't I?" I said after a while.

"Just do what you think is right."

I don't know what was right! That's what Carlos was for, to make these kinds of decisions. I decided to drop the topic.

"What did Kendall say?" I asked.

"Say about what?"

"Anything. What'd he tell you?"

"....I don't remember." Carlos looked in the other direction. I decided not to ask him again.

The nurse came in the room. "Kendall needs rest. You can go back to the waiting room."

She shoo'd us all out of the room and gave Kendall some medicine. Carlos and I went to find some food, while James asked the desk lady about Logan. I found a vending machine, and got a bag of chips for each of us and then went back to the waiting room.

"What'd she say about Logan?" I asked, handing James a bag of chips.

"She said he's fine. But we can't see him yet, because it might be overwhelming." James put air quotes around overwhelming. "She also said that if you wanted to go see him, you could, because he kept asking for you over and over again."

I definitely wanted to see him, so I asked the lady what room he was in. She told me, and I went to find him.

"Emily!" Logan shouted when I entered the small, white room.

"Hey, Logan! How are you?" I asked.

Logan opened his arms for a hug.

"I'm wonderful, actually, now that you're here. My beautiful wife-to-be," he said. He sounded so happy, so excited, so...proud. And here I am, about to rip all that from him. What kind of person does that make me?

"Actually, L-logan, I need t-to tell you something," I stuttered out. Should I even tell him? Maybe he'll faint again. I should just drop it..and tell him later.

Logan ignored me. "Where are the others?" He said, looking behind me towards the hallway.

"They weren't aloud to come here yet. Might be too overwhelming. But since you were asking for me, I could come."

"Well F that. But I'm glad you're here. I was getting lonely."

"Logan I-" I tried again.

"How's Kendall?" He asked, cutting me off once more.

"He's fine. Just bruised up. His arm and leg are broken."

"I hope he's okay... So did the nurse, uh, say if it was an...an accident?"

"I don't know." I tried to look away. Logan wiggled over a little bit so I could sit next to him. "I have to tell you something," I said. This time, it came out more demanding.

"Yes, my sweet?" He winked.

"I...we- I don't think we should..." I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Here goes nothing. "I don't think we should be engaged." I opened one eye to look at Logan.

"Why not?" He stared at me, a blank expression on his face.

"Don't you think all of the awful things that have happened today are kind of a...sign?" I asked.

"Well, I guess so, but-"

Logan was interrupted by a nurse walking into a room, reading over his files.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much for 1200 reads! :)

<3Emilee

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN