Chapter 12: Varmint (Day 4) Edited

Jeff shook you awake.

"Hey, you really do sleep a lot."

You weren't in a plane. You were in some hotel room. The windows were open and the sun was shining like an ultramarine fire with audacity. Loud roars and shouts consumed you, but everything else was silent. There was nothing to be afraid of, and all your fears were engulfed in cessation. Somehow, you stared at the gleaming irises looming over you without a doubt that they were there for a reason. They were meant to be there with you, always watching so that they could be your guardian when needed. But that made you ask why they were so involved. You wondered why you needed them during your recovery. Were you not strong enough on your own? You caused Jeff so much trouble. You were sure that he hated being around you by now. It was probably like walking with a blind person unable to hear, or a crane unable to fly or walk. You were completely reliant of him.

"You're face is turning red," he said, resting his palm on your forehead. "Are you stressed out about something?"

If your world hadn't been in color before that moment, balloons of paint exploded around you because of that worried look of his, and you were sure that all the rainbows in the world decided to stay in that hotel room with you. They were waiting all your life for the silence after the storm where their appearance could finally be appreciated.

"I feel like I'm swimming in hot ashes," you stated softly, "but then you're like that guard trying to rescue me."

The lids of his eyes became lighthearted just as his state-of-mind shifted to the occasion. "You don't have to worry about anything anymore," he whispered. "I'll swim in those ashes for you."

You figured it would be best if you found out exactly where you were. So you discovered that the plane-ride made you delusional and tired, and Jeff had eventually got you to the hotel room so that you could rest. He said that you were in and out of sleep, sometimes talking, but not really understanding anything you said. You were slightly scared of what type of secrets you could have told him unconsciously, but you felt personable enough to not care too much. Besides, what did you know that he didn't at that point?

"Jeff?" you called. "Do you ever just get scared of nothing?"

He seemed to pause for a moment as his eyes floated in midair and his face turned cold. "I'm scared of a lot of things sometimes," he said. "But those fears don't stick around long enough for me to worry about them. Only a couple are real enough to taunt me after I clear my head."

Fear was just a concept. It couldn't harm you in any real way, for it was an idea brought to mind whenever you were unable to wrap your head around a picture. Fear was a simple outrage or spur that quickly retreated after reaching a small goal. If it was anything other than a mental barricade, it would have moved out of the lion's den and relocated itself in the hearts of the most paranoid people. The fear of death was simply fate, and it was nothing to be worried about.

"Are you okay?" Jeff asked.

"Yeah, of course. I'm excited," you stated.

You forced a smile in order to hold your sanity. You kept getting this feeling that something wasn't quite right. You were in Paris, actually. Of course you wouldn't be able to familiarize yourself with anything. You were just worried because you knew nothing about Paris and nothing about Jeff.

Your thoughts were interrupted when you started to stand and look back at the couch you had previously been laying on. A moment or two passed as a fuzzy brown haze caved in from the corners of your eyes, but it withdrew itself once you stood your ground and silently demanded for it to go away. That was a common ailment in your daily life.

Anyways, you took some time exploring the huge expanse of penthouse you would be staying in. Jeff showed you the extravagant kitchen area for for a family of five, and he even went out of his way to show you the window in the bedroom with the amazing view of the Eiffel Tower. The countless floors below you were able to bellow at a pool surrounded by pavement walking underneath a few late-night swimmers. You laughed at all the people jumping in the water under the bright white stars.

The tour was cut off by a loud bang. You sat in silence and Jeff looked around the room frantically. He started to take a step away, attempting to walk around, but stopped when the sound of another bang filed the walls to a centimeter deep. It didn't sound far away. It was almost... in your head. Jeff walked forward towards the shoe closet silently, gesturing for you to stay still.

You watched him as he opened the door slowly, only to slam it shut right away. He ran towards you, grabbing your arm and yanking you up off your feet. He pulled you into the bedroom and locked the door, pushing you against the wall furthest away from it.

"What wa-"

Jeff covered your mouth and whispered, "Don't make any noise."

You wanted to know what was out there. Was it an animal? You heard a lot of ruckus, including scratching and thumping that repeated itself over and over again as it got louder and louder. Then it suddenly went silent. It lasted for minutes. You were sure it was gone, whatever it was.

You whispered, "Jeff."

He looked at you and opened his eyes more, implying he was listening.

"Is it gone?" you asked so quietly that you practically mouthed it.

He shook his head.

Then you heard another bang. This one was close. Like, on the door close.

You jumped back, not expecting the horrible sound. Jeff stood between you and the door and gripped a metal rod he had previously broke from the coat hanger in the closet. He pointed it at the door, expecting the thing to come in.

"Stand back," he said to you.

You walked backwards until your back hit the wall. Suddenly, you got some sort of flashback. Like hitting the wall gave you déjà vu. Whatever. This was not the time to think about it. There was a rapid banging pounding on the door. After what seemed like hours, even though it was only a second, it broke the door down.

It was a disorientated figuration of a human. Almost like an extremely thin and bony old man standing like a dog, jaw almost touching the floor. Its mouth was enormously large, and saliva dripped from it like goo, saturating the carpet. The beast's eyes were soulless and almost glowed. Jeff immediately darted towards it with the metal rod, hitting it upside the head.

It growled.

"What is that thing?!"

Jeff backed up from it and replied, "I don't know." His voice was hesitant.