Chapter 9: Expound (Day 3) Edited

The cracks between your eyelids began to let in a manifested, bright light that reckoned the situation a hoax. Questions of doubt and certainty always filled your soul, after all.

There was an immense amount of heat in your room. The sun was shining like a moon outside the open window, and the breeze circling the ceiling was calming. It made you feel refreshed, so to say. Perhaps all your troubles and failures had been lifted from your back over the dead and silent night, swept away into the darkness of an everlasting memory of Lethe. Your bones were arising from their quiet abeyance, so you sat upwards and yawned your little heart out.

Along with a requiem of thoughts, the tiniest memory of a dream was in your mind. It was about a wolf chasing a feeble rabbit until the prey was too weak to carry on. The battle had been deadly, resulting in a multitude of casualties amongst both the wolves and the bunnies. The leader of the pack ended up trying to save the injured rabbit at the last moment in an attempt to diverge from natural inclination. It was its instinct to do whatever it took to repent for its hostile actions.

Pushing your covers away, you slid out of bed and hopped into the bathroom. You dizzily floundered through your morning routine as loads of anxiety climbed through the stairwell of the sink to mock the innocence of your state of mind. Having amnesia wasn't at all easy, and it's even worse when your company knows more about you than you yourself.

When you were finished thinking about what to ask the mysterious boy who claimed to be eternally yours, you nervously tip-toed downstairs. He already knew you were coming, and before you could even hear his footsteps walking towards the steps, he was right in front of your face.

"Good morning," he muttered. "Is that medicine wearing off any?"

"No," you confirmed. "It's actually worked really well."

Jeff smiled and gazed at you with his sea-blue eyes. The waves of benevolence decided to crash into the back of his vector before the warmth of his arms consumed you. Your glance shifted towards the back of his head.

"I have a feeling you're lying," he whispered.

He was right.

The pain had erupted again countless times through the night, and you figured that a buildup of resistance would be necessary. However, you feared consequences of trusting someone who was still a stranger to you. And it was natural to do so.

"You know it's okay to trust me, right?" Jeff asked quietly.

Well, were you better off dead or alive?

You followed him into the kitchen and carefully drank down another pill. Before you were able to start firing questions you had previously thought about, Jeff stood over your shoulder and peered down at you like a hawk. You wondered if he was checking to make sure the medicine wasn't still in your hand, and it was utterly satirical.

"Do you at least remember faces of anyone you knew?" he asked.

"Why in the past-tense? Did someone I know die?" you intrigued. Quickly realizing how jumping to conclusions could lead you to a terrible karma, you apologized for the question. However, the thought made you want to remember more. Did you forget someone important? Were you involved in an accident with someone and only you survived? You really were never told how you lost your memories. You assumed that the information was unnecessary.

"It's alright," Jeff stated. "I'll never leave you alone in a situation where you would need your memories. I know you like a book, so I'll just handle things for you."