Chapter 5: Shattered (Day 2) Edited

You woke to a crunching sound.

Willingly climbing out of bed, your curiosity of what happened rose. Did someone break in? Well, that wouldn't really matter, would it? Your time was already ticking away. The red string already started to burn. The entire aura of the situation was changing as everything smelled like bleach and death. It was a nice change. It introduced you to demonic things that no one else would ever be allowed to discover in their insignificant lives.

As you walked downstairs, you were able to pin your suspicions. There was definitely a change in mood.

Sitting in the middle of the kitchen was another broken mug. It wasn't anything brutal, but a small piece on the rim chipped off and had shattered under the weight of Jeff's foot. He was quick to apologize and try to graze the mug for any chance at redemption. You reached down and shakily grasped it from the handle to read the beautiful slogan written on the front:

Until all the oxygen in the world is gone, I'll be there.

How sweet. If only you knew who gave it to you.

"I didn't mean to knock it off the shelf," Jeff sighed. "It's just that your cupboard is so packed. All the cups are competing for space."

"That's nice," you muttered.

You glanced at the tiny crumbs of shiny metal laying on the tiles beneath you and reluctantly grabbed a broom from the closet. Jeff took it from you and insisted that he clean the mess. He said that he would try to fix it that night with some sort of spare glass that you knew wouldn't be found in your home. Still though, you found it strange that he was considering doing something nice for you.

"I'm sorry," he said, "again."

Your eyes then remained on your useless mug. It was important to you. Every day, you would look at it and wonder why the hours went by so beautifully. Someone gave that to you when they truly cared about you. It was good to know that someone at some point in time was looking after you with generosity. It didn't matter who it was, for the feelings behind it were mutual.

You walked away, containing your inner thoughts.

"Where are you going?" Jeff asked.

You had a plan.

"Do you think that we could go for a walk in the woods?" you questioned. You turned to face his glare.

He was utterly shocked. You practically asked him to let you escape. But maybe he would read through it. Maybe he would see it as neutrality and a longing desire to just get fresh air. That's how you hoped he would interpret it.

"If it'll cheer you up, then fine."

He agreed. He actually agreed. Wow... He wanted you to feel happy. Strange... Wasn't he supposed to be killing you in ten days? Unless he was just there to watch you in your last ten days. That would be surprising. It's totally reaper-like and completely non psychopathic-like. But you were sure he was just there to get your hopes up to make the end all the more insufferable. Maybe he was trying to gain your trust so that he could squash it in your last moments. It wasn't anything peculiar to hear a fate you might deserve, such as having only a fraction of your life left to live. But why was it that you believed him?

"Thanks," you said.

Did you give up?

Did you give in?

"Let's go then," Jeff muttered.

He took your wrist and pulled you over to the front door. He reached into his pant pocket and retrieved a silver key that matched the lock sticking out of the doorknob.

He had it the entire time.

Jeff unlocked the door and pulled it open, and cold air immediately ran up your cheek. You followed him outside and started to shiver. The road was empty and foggy as if it had been abandoned years ago. You could have sworn that you had a friend on that street, but all traces of that memory were gone too, just like the rest of your soul. In a matter of seconds, you were planning to get as far away from your house as possible and get a neighbor to call the police. You just had to wait until Jeff looked away, even if it was a simple glance at a tree or the sky. Any type of lead would work.

"You're shivering. A lot, actually," Jeff said.

"I know," you mumbled, looking away from him.

He snaked his arm around your shoulder as you walked. You were so cold that you nuzzled up to his side, pushing your mastermind plan aside. You would have to wait a little longer. Oh, but the anticipation was driving you insane. The wind wasn't strong, so it was nearly silent on the path. This only made you more agitated. However, your ears perked up when you heard a loud scream escape from the trees.

"What was that?" you asked.

Jeff stared at the leaves.

"What?" he asked. "What do you mean?"

Was that just in your head? There's no way he couldn't have heard it. It was so high-pitched and blood-moving. Was your conscious trying to warn you? Were you not supposed to go into the woods? What did it mean?

Well, the roses have a weird way of doing things.

The wind started picking up and the trees started to sway. You began to feel uneasy, but shrugged it off. It could be your only chance. So as you walked deeper into the woods, you started to count down from ten. It only got darker with each passing moment. The sun wasn't out, but the coverage wasn't that thick, so having it get that dark wasn't normal. You lost track of which number you were on as a result.

"Stop," Jeff said.

"Wha-"

He put his hand over your mouth and whispered, "There's something else here."

Something? It wasn't a person?

You moved your eyes all around and saw nothing, but it still continued to get blacker and blacker. The dark was eating away at the roots and branches on the path, consuming all the tiny little ants running up and down the trunks. You could almost feel it chipping away at you as if you were some sort of frozen statue. A tint of red decided to sneak into the frame as well.

You heard a crackle and then Jeff was gone. You spun around, endlessly searching for him as your fear returned.

You were all alone with something else.

Another twig cracked behind you, but when you turned around to look, there was nothing there. Were you about to die? Was your time going to be cut short? How fast was the clock burning?

There was a voice behind you following laughter.

"Hello," it said. "Welcome to wonderland."