Chapter 18: Morose (Day 6) Edited

"Good morning!"

It was shouted at you from the other room only a second after you opened your eyes. You sat up in bed, not remembering any of the events that occurred the night before. Not even your slumberless dream about butterflies dancing like soldiers in the sky all fighting the be the first one to see the sun in all her inexorable glory remained. You knew that a battle awaited you in another life, and that it wouldn't be as confusing as your current one. However, again, you had no clue of the existence of fate's reoccurrence.

You wanted to keep your promise to yourself, so you acted like you felt sick. "My head's been acting really strange lately," you muttered.

"Sorry about that," Jeff replied. "I would give you some Advil or something-"

You stuttered, "No, I don't want to take anything else. I think all the pills have been clouding my brain lately. It's been up all night thinking about stupid things- things that are sorta strange and unrealistic. Like a dream caught in the wildfire of a busy life."

He made an effort to stare at you with slight suspicion after you pleaded to not distract yourself from the main goal any longer. You finally started to feel the words writing themselves; you didn't have to focus or try anymore. They just slipped off your tongue naturally and with ease as if they were destined to fall out of your mind. It really was peaceful and simple not having to think anymore. Thinking was what always drove you mad, after all. And heavy thinkers are known to be the craziest of people and the most insane individuals on the planet. Galaxies don't care about the balance of humans as much as they care about the balance of themselves.

"Okay, new topic then," Jeff muttered. "Today is our last day in Paris, so are you feeling up to going anywhere?"

"Of course! I wouldn't waste the day for anything," you replied. You walked over to the table and sat down. Resting your head in your hand, you thought about the situation you were in with Jeff. If he was lying to you, then why in the world would he be doing so much for you? It was like he planned on devoting all his time and energy to you. Better get that out of your head... You already made a deal with yourself that you would stop thinking and just let things happen. There was no need to worry about some innocent guy who was willing to end his life for you if the time ever came. Or, that's what you thought he would do.

You looked up at him and noticed the strangest thing.

"Jeff... Why is your hair black now?"

He froze. It was like all time stopped and the only people in the world were you and him. He looked shocked, as if something absolutely terrible happened. His eyes snapped out of the front of his face while the digital clock on the counter failed to flip its own switch and reverse back to zero after the end of the hour. Instead, it showed a number well over a hundred to taught you.

Jeff started, "What are you...?" He took a piece of his own hair in his hand and moved it into his eyesight. Every inch of his back shook with envy. But the only thing you noticed to be different than his normal self was the way he glared at you with confusion. No, he wasn't acting strange at all. Nothing he did was out of the ordinary, and his hair wasn't out of the ordinary either. His hair was an interesting color, actually. It was extremely different in different lighting, and the way you told him this was a bit outrageous. You probably scared him half to death with your tone. You seriously needed to stop thinking.

"I don't think you're seeing things right," he mumbled. "Are you sure you don't need some Advil?"

Then you saw his eyes. They weren't blue anymore.

"Your eyes are different too," you mentioned, staring at him.

They were completely concealed in Stygian waters overlapping the breeze that had made its way through the open window. It was then that you realized that window had never been open in the first place. The window was a window to the soul, and Jeff's pupils couldn't handle the immense amount of subsidiaries he drank the week before. The black was bleeding out of his corneas like a freakshow of tenebrous clowns to try and suffocate his sanity within the obscure, dolorous nature of the situation, and every forlorn-filled second that etched by collapsed more wan looks into your veins. Your eyes lacked their luster too.

After seeing the act of the century, you couldn't even try to lay those eyes on the empty ones staring back at you. Yet every time you tried to look away, he only took a step closer. He made progress every time you blinked, every time you sprained your view. His footsteps started to haunt you in a sleep that you were fully awake for. You guessed it was called reality. And reality was becoming more hellish in nature. It wasn't the same as it used to be.

Nature... Nature had a weird way of doing things. Just like fate. You knew that the moon was up there waiting for you to be devoured alive. It was your destiny to get lost in the moment and fall through the glass floor, shattering all the memories you never knew were right beneath your feet. And as soon as you hit the ground beneath, everything you ever knew would change. It wouldn't happen just yet, but it would morph into the utter gloom built to mask your eyes and show them a biased history. Nothing would matter anymore, as the small facts of the past would point out the wrong enemy. You would run from the one trying to save you.

"You should stop questioning things," Jeff mocked. "It only makes you more confused."

Confused.

Confused.

You were c o n f u s e d.

There was a booming knock on the door. Like a metal pan striking a human head, the sound echoed over and over again until you couldn't tell if it was only a figment of your imagination. But Jeff heard it too, and that's when a chill ran down the snake slithering up and down your spine. Real fear was settling, and your doors never invited it inside.

"Why?" Jeff asked to the utter unknown. "Why are they ruining this?" He looked at you yet again, searching for the answer in your face. A few moments passed when you decided to end your bet and start thinking of an explanation. You discovered that Jeff wasn't asking the open air for a reason why his plans were falling through; he was asking himself why he couldn't carry the weight of any situation without the setbacks included with associated interface.

"What have you been hiding from me?"

He shook his head as he whispered, "Everything."