Chapter 5

It was supposed to be a peaceful day, hell even the gods where being nice by making the sun shine constantly for missions to go smoothly. Team 10 were slowly approaching the village gates, they had finished their second C ranked escort mission. Other from encountering some bandits it went smoothly. They headed up to the Mission Tower where Team 7 was causing a ruckus. Team 8 was their having finished boarder patrol at an abandoned station, it was a C ranked as well. 

"Naruto," Shikamaru called as he spotted him. Naruto broke out of his concentration and smiled widely. It's been a week since they saw each other, he wasted no time in jumping into the lazy nin's arms. Shikamaru spun them slightly and placed Naruto down.

"Do I have a story to tell you," Naruto groaned. "Boarder patrol was so tedious, then it got weird when some illegal personnel thought they could sneak in. Kiba just sent Ackamaru to maul them," He laughed.

Shikamaru chuckled, "I ran into some bandits on my escort mission but it was child's play," Sakura snickered at them.

"Those missions are easy D ranks, our mission ended up turning A rank and we crossed paths with Zabouza Momochi," She bragged, Naruto raised his eyebrows.

"And your proud of that, clearly the man couldn't pay the full amount and you guys never expected to be blind sighted like that. I can almost imagine you not learning anything from that mission. Granted the right thing to do would be to turn back."

Shikamaru narrowed his eyes as he deduced the situation. "But Sasuke probably said you should continue, he was probabaly so amped to get something other than D ranks."

"That means Shino saw reason and tried to explain, Sakura shut him up for contradicting her 'Sasuke-kun'. And Kakashi-sensei continued to show them how out classed and out matched they were in terms of individual strength and team work. " Naruto continued, humming as he sat on the floor.

"But Kakashi should've turned back when he saw the first sign of danger that could easily over power the team, well despite all odds you made it back in one piece. Bruised like meat but in one piece," Shikamaru concluded.

Naruto smirked at Team 7. "I don't regret being on your team, because of that decision you all get to live a little longer. Uchiha I want to crush you in the Chunin Exams, so don't lose to anyone before you reach me teme. I'll put you in your place,"

Sasuke chuckled at his response, "Your no match for me, or my Sharingan. You like to talk, I like action."

"Is this enough," Naruto chuckled from behind Sasuke a hand around his neck. "No Sharingan will aid you against me, infact it'll put you at a disadvantage. After all a Kitsune never falls for the same tricks, we are calculated creatures. Please pay attention or I might end up crushing your will of fire,"

Shikamaru was surprised by how quickly Naruto's personality switched. Naruto has always been split in two but this is the first he's seen this side in almost 2 years. It was oddly fascinating  how a pretty face could hide such a deadly personality but it never bothered him afterall both sides of Naruto listened to reason when it came from him.

"Naruto," Shikamaru called with a yawn, he was ready to go home. That giant fluffy futon was calling him and he couldn't go without Naruto's warmth as well. Naruto appeared beside him a goofy smile on his face.

'That smile is so bright it almost distracts you from his abilities as a ninja,' The senseis thought as they watched him annoy Shikamaru. 

'It's his way of misdirecting people, you believe he's an idiot for a second and your dead before he even draws his sword,' Shikamaru smiled. 'But the same goes for me, I'm a lazy ninja and it's mostly true until I see danger,'

"I want to sleep, which means you want to sleep so come on," Shikamaru sighed as he began heading out the window. Naruto followed after waving his teammates good bye.

"Naruto 9 at the training ground tomorrow," Kiba yelled after him.

***************************

They hopped the roofs with ease as they talked to each other.

"Naruto what was that with Sasuke back there," Shikamaru voiced, it's been bugging him since they left. He knew why Naruto behaved that way but he wanted Naruto saying it.

"He pisses me off," Naruto tightened his grip. "He just has a one track mind, becoming more powerful and defeating his brother, but what after?  He doesn't have any other plans and I want to show him that people care about him. I have to pull his head out of his ass, he's hurt and I want to help anyway I can."

Shikamaru huffed. It sounds like Naruto as always trying to help others before himself. "So what's your dreams then,"

Naruto turned to him with a confused look. "You know already," He whined looking away as a deep blush covered his face. Shikamaru smirked as they stopped on the gate of the Nara compound. 

"But I want to hear it again," Naruto puffed his cheeks and faced him.

"I want to become Hokage and have you as my advisor. Then keep you away from anyone who has romantic interest in you, they're troublesome." Shikamaru laughed as he jumped down from the gate wall. Naruto stayed up there looking down and him looking up.

"What if I fall in love?" He asked looking up at the blond Angel. 'I think I might already be,'

Naruto got a snarl on his face. "I'll make you regret falling in love, your mine. Mine Shikamaru, don't ever say something like that, I can't lose you to some man or woman,"

"Then expect the same from me," Shikamru said lowly. "I won't let anyone steal you, I'll make sure they don't," Naruto's eyes widened at the declaration. It wasn't often that his best friend made a promise. If he did it was a promise of a life time. 

'Then I guess we're stuck together,'

Naruto jumped into Shikamaru's arms and kissed his forehead. "Then I guess this is a start," Shikamaru turned red at the action. 'This boy was going to be the death of me'