"How does it work?"

I scratched the back of my head. "To put it frankly... heat makes wolves crazy horny for three days a month after they've met their mate."

Tar's cheeks flushed dark red. "Oh."

"Yeah," I chuckled. "It's not the most pleasant experience in the world. Especially if you're denying yourself those urges."

"So, um... did you... go through h-heat?" Tar stammered. "I-I mean, it's been months since you found out I'm your mate, and you said it happens every month."

"Yes," I honestly told him. "Do you remember those times when I would tell you that I couldn't come over, because I was dealing with 'wolf stuff'?" Tar nodded his head. "Well, I was going through heat. The best way to deal with it when you can't mate is to lock yourself away from everyone else and wait for it to pass."

"Wouldn't that be kinda... torturous?" Tar asked in a gentle tone.

"Well, it's not exactly pleasant," I laughed softly. "But I wasn't going to make you do something you weren't ready for."

Tar smiled at me, his dark round eyes sparkling. My heart thumped in my chest as I stared back at my mate that somehow managed to be sexy and adorable at the same time.

"Will I go through heat after I turn 18?" Tar asked, and I frowned at that. Would he? I didn't know much about human mates; only that they're rare. There wasn't not enough information on human mates to know for sure if Tar would go through heat.

"I'm not sure, to be honest. Human mates are pretty rare, so I don't know too much about it."

"Does it hurt?"

"Does what hurt?"

Tar squirmed in his seat, his cheeks flushed and voice quiet. "Marking... a-and sex."

It's a good thing I didn't have any food in my mouth at the time, because I would have choked on it.

"Uhh... I wouldn't know," I offered him as blood rushed to my face. "It's not like I have experience in either field. But I've heard marking isn't too bad. There's pain when the teeth go in, but then it's... pleasurable, I guess."

"You're a virgin?" Tar blurted before his eyes went wide and he slapped his hand over his mouth. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have asked like that."

"No, it's okay," I laughed lightheartedly. "You're my mate, so you deserve to know. After I found out my previous mate had died during childhood, I felt kind of... lost. I didn't really interact with many people, aside from Lhong and Techno. It hurt to be around wolves that had mates. I didn't have an interest in meeting new people, let alone having sex with any of them."

Lost in thought, Tar continued to blankly stare at me. I tilted my head down, trying to make him snap out of it.

"Tar?" I tried. He blinked, refocusing his gaze on me as his cheeks pinkened. "What were you thinking about?"

Tar cleared his throat and turned his attention to his forgotten lunch. "N-Nothing. Let's eat."

I chuckled and shook my head, but didn't push it. I had an inkling of what he was thinking about, and I didn't want to make him feel embarrassed.