Secret Identity: Chapter 1

It was late evening. The darkness already invaded the sky, establishing its influence. Few stars appeared, twinkling with their own joy, making the sky look beautiful. Amidst the starlight, the ever glowing moon spread its grace in the dark sky, making it look like a fantasy land where a person can lose himself in the beauty. The soft soothing breeze blew all over the area, making the environment most pleasurable in the time of spring.

During late evenings, people of Maheswari seldom roamed in the forests, afraid of becoming victim to the dacoit attacks. No matter how many times the king had tried to abolish the entire dacoits from the kingdom, they won't leave it.

During such a late evening, a litter was being carried through the mid forests of Maheswari. The crowns of the trees of dense forests rose proudly, covering most of the view of the sky. The soothing moonlight could barely enter the forest floor, making it difficult for the litter bearers to move quickly. The fire torches which the men were holding was the only source of light in the dark forest.

"Hurry up! We need to cross this forest tonight." A man in his late 20s, riding on a horse that was walking in front of the litter, showing the way, ordered the palanquin bearers.

"Brother, can we not take shelter in this kingdom?" The voice of a girl reverberated from the litter as she peeped from inside. "It's already late evening and...we have the risk of dacoit attack." The girl's voice sounded uncertain as she was trying to change her brother's mind.

"No sister, we cannot stop for a moment." The man said without stopping his horse. "We need to reach our destination as soon as possible and it's very important for us."

The girl sighed in disappointment and adjusted herself inside the litter, hugged her knees tightly. The constant fear of getting attacked by the dacoits was eating her alive.

Suddenly she heard few neighs of horses along with thundering voices of some males. She froze for a moment while her body stiffened when she realized that the litter was placed on the floor and her greatest fears came true. Her quivering fingers slowly touched the curtains of the litter, pushing them aside and she peeped out to check on the situation.

Her face turned pale when she saw her brother was no longer riding on the horse but was standing on the ground while a group of dacoits put a kharga (heavy sword) at his neck, threatening him.

"Brother!" She screamed as she came out of the palanquin and knelt before the dacoits. "Please spare my brother's life. You can take whatever you want but please don't do anything to him. He is my only family." She sobbed as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Pretty girl, huh?" The leader of the dacoits with a huge body laughed like a demon. He was wearing a dark-colored dhoti which ended near his knees while his upper body didn't have any cloth. "Why don't you surrender yourself to us along with your wealth? Perhaps then I can spare your dear brother's life." He smirked as if he was the king of the evil powers.

"No! You can kill me but don't touch my sister." The girl's brother begged with his hands folded in front of the dacoits while helpless tears rolled down his cheeks. "She is going to get married in a few days."

"Scream..hahaha." The demonic laughter of the leader echoed in the quiet forest. "So what did you decide?"

"I am willing to surrender." The girl said in a low but determined voice as she made up her mind to save her brother at any cost.

"Great!" The dacoit smirked while eyeing her. "Capture her." He ordered.

The girl's brother was held by a few other dacoits so that he won't move while a dacoit already walked towards the girl. His hand was about to touch her, an arrow swiftly came from nowhere and pierced into his chest, killing him.