Chapter 36

I wake up with my laptop half-falling off my leg. I watch as it starts to wobble, almost toppling off my leg and onto the floor.

My eyes awaken fully, and I instantly grab the laptop, saving it from breaking.

"Phew." I sigh to myself.

I sit there clutching my laptop for a while until I remember my video that I posted.

I open YouTube and read a few comments that were left on my recent video. Most were from other YouTubers congratulating me, and the rest were of fans.

I don't really like to call them fans because I'm not famous. I'm just some 22 year old who discovered the internet a while ago and knows how to put together a short clip that somehow makes people laugh.

I am happy with the positive feedback of the video and I am feeling more confident and at ease.

***

"Hello?" Sam answers on the other side of the phone.

"Hey! Sam! It's Connor. I just wanted to see how things were going. But more importantly, how are you feeling?" My voice sounds sincere, like Sam is about to drop dead any time soon.

But you never know, it could happen.

"I'm going great Con! You've really helped me improve and I think I will be able to stop this self torture!" His happiness seems somewhat forced.

"That's great Sam."

"Listen, I gotta go now. Talk later."

"Goodbye!" I end the call and pinch the bridge of my nose.

Sam sounded like he was lying to me. But I'm not sure if I believe it. He might have just woken up.

I decide to call Ricky to make sure Sam is telling the truth.

"Hey Ricky! I was just calling to see how everything is going. How's the boys? How's Sam?" I say into the phone.

"Hey Con, yeah everything's fine. Nothing has really changed besides the number of people living here." Ricky lets out a nervous chuckle, sounding unsure.

"Okay cool! So I'll talk later. Bye!"

"Bye!"

Ricky sounded the same as Sam. Once again, I am not sure whether I believe them or not.

Jc POV

I roll over in my sleep, only to fall out of bed, hitting my head on my penny board.

"Ow!" I scream in pain and hold my head with my hands.

"Jc, what's wrong?" Trevor starts yelling from the door, knocking loudly and trying to gain entry into my room by violently turning the locked doorknob.

"I'm fine Trevor, I just rolled out of bed." I call out through my screams of agony.

I hear his footsteps leave the entrance of the door and I flop back into my bed, trying to sleep off the pain.

***

As I am about to drift off to sleep, my phone starts violently vibrating and ringing. I reach out for it and accidentally flip it off the edge of the nightstand and onto my stomach.

I double over in pain and check who is calling me.

Connor Franta.

"What's up?" I groan in pain, holding my stomach and my head.

"Are you okay? You sound like you are in pain." He says through the phone, sounding genuinly concerned.

"Thanks for noticing. I've had the most unlucky morning. Don't even ask."

"I hope you get better!" Connor sympathizes.

"So why did you call?"

"I need to ask you a few questions. One, how is everything, truthfully, without me or Paige there?"

"It's really lonely here. Nobody has been talking to each other much." I respond, telling the truth.

"Hmm... two, how is Sam going with his 'problem'? I already called him, but he didn't sound like he told me the truth."

"Well I can't really help you with that one. As I said, we haven't been talking to each other. The only person Sam has been talking to is Ricky. It may take him a while to recover though. Poor kid."

There is silence for a few short seconds. I hear Connor sniffle and then sigh loudly.

"So wait. Why does Sam only talk to Ricky?" He finally responds.

"Well, I'm not sure, but whenever I overhear them, it doesn't sound very friendly. They're arguing. And from what I have heard, it's over Paige. They're both jealous of each other. Does that make sense to you?" I tell him, staying quiet so no one hears me.

"Yes it does. Thank you Jc. But don't worry too much about it. Ricky will get over it within a week anyways."

"True!" I let out a quiet laugh.

"I have to go now Jc, thanks so much! Bye." Connor hangs up and I let my phone drop from my hand as I roll over and go back to my much needed sleep.