Chapter 10. The contract

Start from the beginning

Balin opened a door to a small bedroom and Thorin lead you inside. There was a big bed standing against the wall and a closet across from it. There hang a large mirror near the door, but it hadn't been cleaned for a while. The only light came from a small window, offering almost no light. Balin lighted the candle on the closet and you leaned against the bed border. Thorin stood in front of you, his arms crossed, looking at Balin. The older dwarf got some parchment from under his coat and opened it. The parchment dramatically rolled down to the ground and revealed several pages of writing. Your eyes widened as you looked shocked at Thorin.

He offered you an apologetic smile and you rolled your eyes. Of course courting a dwarf wouldn't be easy, why had you thought it would be? 'Some small formalities you said?' you said eyeing the parchment up and down. Small formalities was the understatement of the year. Balin smiled at you. 'I understand this seems like a lot but we need to get you well informed lass. We don't want this courtship to fail because you didn't know what to do or what to say.' You had always dreamed of becoming Thorin's queen, but you had never thought you had to take some kind of test. 'Now, as for the parchment, I will tell you what is expected from Thorin first. Are there any objections?' Balin asked.

Thorin and you shook your heads. You just wanted to get this done and get some sleep. 'Alright then, let's start: I will start to inform you of the suitor's tasks. That will be Thorin. It is the suitor's, or Thorin's, duty to protect his consort from harm in any way. He will thus protect you with his own body until he isn't able to do so anymore. Do we agree and understand?' Balin asks, looking from Thorin to you. Thorin nods impatient. He probably had to learn all of this when he was still a young prince, you figured. 'Wait. You do realize that I can protect myself right? You don't need to protect me with your own body, I would like it better if you cared about your own protection' you said offended.

Thorin seemed hurt when you said that, his shoulder slightly dropping. 'You don't think Thorin can protect you?' Balin asked, his voice filled with confusion. 'Of course I do! I know that he can and will protect me, but I don't want him to get hurt because of me' you explained. Balin sighed in realization but Thorin still didn't seem pleased. He turned around and cupped your cheek. 'You can't ask me to do nothing when you're in danger. You're my One and I will protect you with my life, there's no other way around. You're life is most precious to me, I won't see it come to an end because I failed to protect you' he said, his eyes almost pleading for you to accept the terms.

You sighed. 'Alright then, but I will kill you if you get yourself killed' you joked. He smiled before placing a soft kiss on your lips. 'That's great lass! Shall we continue with the list then?' Balin said, trying to take the focus back on the parchment in his hands. 'Continue' Thorin ordered without turning around. 'It's is Thorin's duty to show you he can provide for you; meaning he is able to feed you when you're hungry. He can do this either by catching you food or buying it, the choice is up to you lass.' You frowned and tried to look at Balin, but Thorin was blocking your view. 'But didn't we already settle this?' you asked. 'He has already caught food during the quest, and he has bought food as well' you argued. Thorin smiled kindly at you. 

'Aye, but we weren't courting back then. You will need to tell me what you want me to catch' he said, looking expectantly at you. 'But before you do I must inform you there are different levels of honor in this task. It is most honourable to ask your suitor to hunt and the kind of beast you want him to bring to you shows how confident you are in his hunting skills' Balin explained. Your mind was racing. Of course you trusted Thorin's hunting skills but you didn't want to risk him getting hurt. Thorin gently stroked your cheek with his thumb so it became even harder to think. 'You don't have to tell me today azyûngal, take your time' he said in his low voice.

A moan had almost escaped your mouth if Balin hadn't interrupted. 'Thorin you know as well as I do that you have to give the lass some space, this is not what I taught you al those years ago' he warned Thorin. At first he seemed reluctant to not stand close to you but after a few seconds he took one step back. Finally your mind became more clear and you had a chance to think this over. An idea popped into your head, however you weren't sure if it wasn't too dangerous for Thorin. But you would show him you thought highly of him. 'Can you bring me a bear?' you asked bluntly. Thorin smiled and you relaxed. Thank god the dwarfs found this honorable.