10. Cry Me a River

"Morning" Liam smiles as I enter the jet.

"Good morning" I smile back.

"Where would you like to sit?" he asks, showing me the different seats there are

"I don't mind"

The plane takes off and I remain silent as I watch Liam gazing outside the window through his sunglasses. The green fields get smaller below us and a couple of minutes later, we're flying over a sea of clouds.

"Well, I guess you'll be wondering why have I asked you to come to Miami with me" Liam says taking his sunglasses off and looking at me

I say nothing, but I guess the way I look back at him gives him the answer.

"I owe you an apology" he starts, "we've all been quite hard on you since you arrived and I don't think that's fair. We judged you without knowing your story; that's why I wanted to talk to you. I looked through our schedule and this seemed an appropriate moment so I asked Sam if you could come and, well.... Here you are" he chuckles.

I smile.

"Thanks for being honest" I say, "I understand that you didn't want to speak to me or have anything to do with me. That doesn't mean I liked it though. I just wanted an opportunity so you could get to know me"

"You're absolutely right. I'm sorry"

"It's okay"

"So... please tell me all about yourself"

I laugh.

"It's a long story"

"We have a nine hour flight ahead of us so..."

I laugh again and sigh, ready to tell Liam my story. I speak trying not to be boring and skipping unimportant stuff; but when I finish, Liam wants to know more.

"What do your parents think about this?"

"They weren't sure about it at the beginning; but they understood that I was going through a hard time and I needed some time far from home"

"The best way to get over your problems is to confront them. You shouldn't run away"

"You don't understand, Liam" I sigh.

"Explain it then"

"There was... this boy, Daniel" I sigh again, mentally preparing to tell a story I have never fully told any boy; "I dated him for three years. He was not just any boy, you know? He was also my best friend. And during the time we were together, I thought he was the one. But we changed. We changed a lot in little time, but when we were together.... We acted like we hadn't changed. Like everything around us was going little by little, when everything actually was spinning around at an unbelievable speed. Everything was changing, but we refused to admit it. After our first year in college; not seeing each other every day... we decided to break up. We just didn't know how to make it keep going. A week after, we decided to go back together: summer was about to start, everything was possible... but it was not. We were different. We had changed so much we didn't know each other anymore. He was going through a lot of things and felt lost, so at the end of summer he broke up again." I look at Liam who is staring at me not even blinking.