12

chaeyoung and lalisa awkwardly stood outside as they waited. jisoo and jennie went inside to see if anyone was home and jennie told them to wait outside, so they did. 

''hey,'' lalisa suddenly spoke. the other girl flinched and quickly looked at her, her eyes wide. the foreign exchange student was staring at the empty road, her eyes firmly facing forward. the next words that came out of her mouth nearly made chaeyoung  choke.

''are you even happy with that arrogant short guy?''

chaeyoung stared at her, bewildered. well, lalisa did have a point... jimin was definitely arrogant and not the tallest out there. surprisingly, chaeyoung giggled. 

''are you worried about me?''

''wha- no. nevermind. forget i asked.''

lisa harshly turned away from her, regretting ever asking that question. chaeyoung smiled brightly when she saw the pink tint on her schoolmate's cheeks, finding it adorable. but then her mind travelled back to the question she asked.

am i happy with jimin?

to be frank, she wasn't exactly on cloud nine anymore. back then, she was young. she was naive. she fell in love with jimin's pretty face and bad boy personality, but now... she was slowly starting to fall out of love. and the fact that she knew scared her to death. was she that obvious? for even a stranger to be able to tell?

the girl looked up and stared at lalisa hesitantly, wanting to ask her how she knew. but she decided against it. what good would it do for her to force her personal feelings onto someone else? plus, they had been friends for only a few hours now. 

determined, chaeyoung nodded her head. for now, it'd be best to keep this to herself.

''yah, let's go,'' jennie's voice suddenly rang, making the girls look up. jennie and jisoo exited the house, the latter locking it before throwing a bag over her shoulder. ''we're going to my place.''

chaeyoung looked at her old friend with worry. so nobody was home. the question 'are you okay' was on the tip of her tongue, but jisoo beat her to it. the older girl smiled at her, somewhat sadly, and wrapped her hand around her elbow. 

''let's go, guys. before it gets dark.''

the girls all looked up at the sky. it was around eight to nine p.m. already, the sun had started to set. thank god it was summer.

''yeah.'' chaeyoung nodded her head.

.

"kyaaa!!!"

"what was that?!"

the girls were about to pass the mall, which was pretty much at the centre of their town. they had to walk past it in order to get to jennie's house, which was about a ten minutes walk away from the mall.

lalisa frowned, vaguely recognizing the voice.

"wasn't that yugyeom from class 3?" she asked, mostly directing the question towards her fellow freshman, chaeyoung. she doubted that the older girls would know the guy.

"the tall dancer?" jennie asked, remembering that he once made it to the regionals of a dance competition with his crew. he was a pretty big deal, but it was still a surprise to her that the foreign exchange student knew him. "wait, how do you even know him? you have a terrible personality."

the blonde just stared at her upperclassman, her eyes blank.

"she- she's a dancer too, jennie unnie," chaeyoung said, smiling awkwardly. "lalisa came here with a dance scholarship... you know how much it is valued here."

that was true. academics were important, of course, but the people in this town found arts very important, as well. 

anyway, the girls followed the direction of the scream. jisoo wondered why they ignored the fact that yugyeom screamed like a little girl, but discarded that thought when she saw the situation that was unfolding.

"what the hell?" she whispered, her eyes wide. 

jennie frowned, grabbing her friend's arm tightly. "what the fuck is going on here?!" she exclaimed.