Epilogue

Nathan Schumer and Akira Kurosawa sat on a park bench next to a small pond in a suburban Dallas park. They sat with their fingers interlocked, watching the sun come down on the small body of water. With her free hand Akira tossed oats to a group of waddling ducks. They eagerly came up to their feet and nibbled at the feed.

    Nate had finished up his last day of physical therapy required for his injury, and he could safely say that he now felt good as new.

    "I've been wanting to talk to you Nate", Akira began, looking out at the pond. She turned to look at him as he raised his eyebrows.

    "I'm sorry okay", he said, tossing a handful of oats to the ducks on the outside of the huddle. "The mail lady thinks I'm really handsome, and there's nothing I can do about it. But I swear I never talk to her more than saying 'thanks for the mail', alright? Turn me into a damn frog if you don't want women crawling all over me."

    "Jackass", she smirked. "I'm trying to be serious."

    "Alright. What's up?"

    "I'm going to retire from... what I do. I think it's about time for me to hang up the cleats", she said, lifting the pair of converse on her feet in the air, careful to avoid accidentally kicking one of the ducks.

    "And why is that?", Nate asked.

    "Well, seeing you get hurt like that." She shook her head. "I don't want something like that happening again. We've had a number of close calls, but I thought I'd lost you."

    Nate took a deep breath. "It was just me getting you back for the stunt you pulled in Old Bayou Bay. I reserved the right to scare the hell out of you for once, and I just cashed in."

    Akira watched the water sway back and forth as it lapped against the bank of the pond. "It's just not worth it."

    Nate held her hands tightly in his. "People need you Akira. I don't like the thought of you going out there and risking your life either. Trust me. But who else would people have to turn to. You were put here for a reason."

    Akira just continued looking at the pond.

    "You saved Laura", he reminded her. He brought Akira in under his arm and joined her in watching the ducks frolic to the pond with full bellies. "How is she, anyway? Do you know?"

    "She always liked travelling", Akira said, smiling. "Travelling Laura. I don't know where she is right now Nate. But I think wherever she is, she's happy."

    Nate nodded his head slowly. "Oh, I know how you can make up for me taking a bullet."

    "And how's that?", she asked, rolling her eyes.

    "I want a dog", he told her. "A dog for the house. To keep me company every now and then. A big black one. How's that sound?" Akira didn't respond. He repositioned himself to see her face. "Okay, okay, it was a joke!", he laughed.  "A simple pinch would get me to shut up. The green glowing eyes ... aren't necessary."

    The two huddled together and laughed as they watched the sun set over the pond. Somewhere else, Laura Weathers watched the sun set at the same time, smiling...

The End