8. The Witch

"His name is Rick Santana", Detective Dorsett said calmly, as he sat atop the interviewing table at the station. Laura tried her best to listen to what the detective was saying, but she was drifting in and out. She sat with her posture straightened out across the table in a cold metal chair. "He's suspected for the disappearance of sixteen people in the greater Denver area. And now it's safe to safe he's responsible for another nine here in Utah, including the three we found today."

"He was a sick fuck", Laura stated plainly. She was greatly fatigued. She'd been here at the station for hours. They let her take a quick shower, which was much needed, but they also had her neck and head injuries checked out coupled with a psych evaluation. She was growing irritable from the lack of sleep.

"He's still out there", Dorsett informed her. "But we have his license plate number, he couldn't have gotten far."

"He's still out there? He's not in custody or?"

"No. By the time we arrived on the scene he was gone. We found everything though Laura. We'll get him soon enough." Laura rapped her fingers on the desk. "How are you feeling Laura?", Dorsett asked.

"Oh you know. Tired. Terrified that there may still be a serial killer out after me. Among other things."

"I don't think you need to worry about him Laura. He had to be somewhat smart to get away with everything he's done over the years. Background check shows he was an exceptional student when he was in college. If he had half a brain he'd be half way through another state by now. I think you can ease your mind."

"Do I need to stay here any longer", Laura asked. "I'd really like to get out of here."

Dorsett nodded slowly. "Yeah, the shrink says you're alright to go. I just wanted  to give you a quick rundown. I can't force you to go, but I'd really like it if you attended our victims group. They meet every Thursday afternoon at the St. George Community Center. I've found that those attending have made great strides with improvement to their mental health after a traumatic incident." From Dorsett's pocket emerged a small colorful pamphlet.

"Thanks", Laura said, not reaching out for it. "But I'd rather not talk to anyone for a while. I'll give it some thought".

Dorsett conceded and showed her out to the police station lobby. When she walked into the seating area, she found Akira reading a book and Tim asleep about four seats over.

"Akira?", Laura squinted.

Akira looked up and immediately got onto her feet, giving Laura a warm long hug. "Are you okay?", she asked.

"I'm alive. There's that." Laura's words were solemn and drawn out. "What are you doing here? How'd you find me?"

"You told me you were at that hostel. I found the owner", Akira pointed to Tim. Tim lifted his hat from up over his face and began to wake up. His eyes were groggy as he smiled at Laura. "And one thing led to another and we found out you were here. What the hell happened? They wouldn't tell me shit." The lady officer at the reception desk looked up and rolled her eyes.

"A lot. It's been a rough week", Laura said, as she watched Tim walk over to her.

He simply shook his head. "I had no idea he was capable of those things. I'm sorry. I should've known."

Laura tired her best to give him a look of forgiveness, but she just couldn't at this moment. Dorsett informed her that Tim gave an eyewitness report telling them that Dylan Dorchester was actually Rick Santana. Dorsett also told Laura that Tim had been just upstairs for hours while she was trapped in the basement. "Is my car still parked at the hostel", Laura asked him.