2. Finders Keepers

Laura couldn't quite pinpoint the very first time she saw Chistopher. But she knew by the way he behaved that he had to have remembered the first time he saw her. Laura was in her second year of law school. She had just gotten out of Corporations class with her best friend, Akira. As always, Akira seemed like she had already taken this class before. She knew all the answers to every question and would even correct the law professor from time to time. As always, later in the period the professor (this one being the quirky Professor Tracy) confronted her about a prior substantive disagreement the two had.

Akira managed to explain her position (which was actually correct, the professor found out later) in a calm, non confrontational, pupil oriented fashion. On their way out Akira couldn't help but grin. Laura had thought about asking her how in the world Akira knew so much about the minority shareholder rights in Louisiana, but she had asked similar questions before. 'I just had a lot of free time to research that area', Akira would always say.

The two tried not to talk about class as much as they could. The two were already deep into law school, and the topic had certainly dried up. Akira was a third year law student and said she was 25 years old, just a year older than Laura. The two looked as if they could be polar opposites. Akira was half Japanese, her hair dark as midnight, and dressed with a style which at first glance would grab attention, but also allow her to disappear into any crowd at any moment's notice. On the other hand while in school Laura would wear her dark rimmed glasses and a simple casual outfit each day.

While walking out of the room Laura noticed a young man had been listening in on her and Akira's conversation. He didn't give off a vibe that he was being intrusive, but instead one of plain curiosity. His eyes were a dark green, and his blond hair curled as it slightly passed his ears. Laura felt that he could probably use a haircut. He was making eye contact with her before being startled from behind when another classmate called out Akira's name.

Akira stalled and turned around. It was Nate Schumer, another third year, who had just gotten out of his Remedies class next door. Nate quickly rushed passed the guy and hugged Akira from behind before she could fully turned around. She turned around and reciprocated Nate with a kiss on the cheek before turning her attention back to Laura, fixing her hair that Nate had messed up.

She had met Nate and Akira a year before, shortly after Laura began her first year of law school. Nate and Akira had been in a committed relationship as long as Laura had known them. Nate was just about an inch or two taller than Akira, and he was just about the same height as Laura. He had shaggy black hair and was quite handsome to an extent. But Akira was something else, a femme fatale that turned the heads of every man (an a fair amount of women) at Ole Miss Law. Laura never quite understood what Akira saw in Nate. Akira had never gotten into the details of it, but the two apparently went through a lot together their first year of law school and the bond was unbreakable from there.

Nate greeted Laura, but that was usually the extent of their relationship. If he was ever near her, Akira was within arms reach of them. Laura never minded Nate personally, he seemed kind enough and he was able to chime into any conversation the best he could. However there were times she could find his comments unnecessary and not fully thought out. Nate didn't seem to her like typical law school material.

Laura had actually met Akira through Nate last year. Nate definitely was fond of drinking, and he threw a small get together at his place. He decided to invite Laura as the two had a number of mutual friends, but the two had never carried out an extensive conversation. Laura met Akira at the get together though, and the two women hit it off from there.

Akira and Nate attended to their obligatory coddling of each other as they did after every class. Laura once again noticed the young man's glance at her as he passed her in the hallway. She had seen him a couple of times before, but couldn't quite remember his name. Laura knew most of the second year students pretty well. He didn't seem to ring a bell.

The Heartless PreyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara