chapter【12】

You slipped through the open gate, closing it gently behind you to prevent any new foe from sneaking in behind. The parking lot seemed to be empty in the front, brick buildings on each side not allocating for any passage of more zombies. The whole building screamed "fortress".

Walking up to the lobby, you examined the sturdy doors, first noting that the glass had no prevailing cracks, and second that no zombies were lurking behind the door in your line of vision. Calling it good enough, you pulled the doors open and walked right inside.

Still no zombies, you looked at the mud-stained tile and decided once you were settled in that you would clean up the place as best as possible. Looking at the two single-use bathrooms on the left, you decided that would be a great place to designate as a safe room until the whole building was cleared once again.

Cracking open the female water closet, you were stunned when something pushed back to close the door on you. Leaving it be, you pressed your ear against the solid wooden door and listened for any signs of life.

A deep and wet growl resounded on the other side, confirming the entity to be a zombie. Taking a preparation breath, you stepped back from the door before kicking it in. The door swung back and rammed into the zombie inside the bathroom, smushing it against the back wall. The zombie roared in frustration, falling down dramatically to land on its side. Using the door to your advantage, you pushed it tighter against its body. The monster was effectively pinned and could only shake its head about in rage.

Deciding enough was enough, you brought your bat down on its skull, quickly crumpling its rotting bone into its infected brain, killing it.

A tired sigh slipped out of your nose with the fact that you now had to drag its corpse all the way outside and over the fence. So, you put a plastic bag around its head to keep brain matter from seeping out and lugged it back into the lobby, stopping to go back into the bathroom to unload any unneeded supplies and your precious cargo. Leo mewed a soft "thank you" as you collected your bat, slipped on a pair of thick gloves, and tied your hair back and up.

"See you soon, Leo."

The sun had begun to lose its battle against the moon and the sky began to darken. Thankfully, the only other problems you ran into were three other zombies. One of which you assumed was a straggler and two you believed to had fallen victim to it. But, at the end of the day, they were all dead and outside your new home.

You were on the second story of two where a bunch of office rooms were located and needed to still be cleared. The bathrooms were empty—save for a few tubes of medicine and such. The first two showers were vacant as well, a bar of soap or two resting on the shelves, but the walls held a thin sheen of water, encouraging you to be on your toes because someone was here. Opening up the third curtain, the floor was stained a watered-down crimson.

Your chest tightened and the severity of what you might have to deal with came flooding over you. Pulling up your big-girl pants, you went to clear every room on this level in depth, compared to the once-over you gave it earlier.

You decided to start on the stairwell-side wall and gradually work your way through each of the 7 disheveled offices... only to find nothing—no signs of life.

As you exited one of the plentiful offices, your downcast eyes locked onto a familiar crimson rubbed into the builder-grade carpet. You eyed the trail stemming from the showers and trailed it to the break room only a few feet away.

A deep breath calmed your flaring heart as you shuffled over to the door. Your palms grew sweaty and your spine tensed for chills to dance down—a lovely ballet that numbed your bones.