chapter【9】

The two zombies ogling at you wasted no time after you opened that door—scampering over each other to get a bite of their next meal. Haphazardly, you clobbered the closest zombie, crushing its soft skull, watched it concave into its brain matter. The second promptly launched itself over his dead friend, jaw snapping viscously in your face. You brought your weapon down on his back, hearing the audible pops and cracks as the bones combusted. It toppled to the ground—still alive and anxious to eat. Stomping its head in, you began your solo expedition. You slipped into the bedroom, runners sinking into the plush carpet as you scanned the static room. Nothing moved. It was as if time was frozen in a horrifying polaroid with blankets and pillows strewn about the place. Worst of all was the noxious smell wafting from the left corner of the room. Slowly, you shuffled over to the stench, (e/c) hues peeled. On the ground was a figure of some sort with a puddle of dark brown soaked in the carpet around it. The wall behind was covered in a dark dried substance—blood. You walked over to the presumed body and nudged it with your foot, seeing it remain motionless as undried crimson rubbed into the soles of your shoes. Upon further examination, you saw it was just a rotten corpse, bones protruding out of the thin skin. Deciding enough was enough, you left the body to continue decomposing in the bedroom.

Exiting the putrid room, you ended up in a kitchen/living room combo with a wide ground to cover. The silence was your best teammate on this mission. There was virtually no light in this area, mind whatever daylight was streaming through the wide windows obscured by sheer drapes. Dust hung thick in the air, little specks floating around your head decorating the apartment like minuscule stars.

You crept on silently, tucking the (h/c) strands back behind your ears in response to their deviance. Now on tile, silence was even more important with nothing to absorb your footfalls. A low and guttural groan grew in front of the couch. It started dark and raspy—like that of a smoker who just couldn't quit. The voice sharpened menacingly as a defensive feline would, sending your heart into your throat. Swallowing thick, you took in a deep breath through your nose.

Big mistake.

Suddenly, with the power of a thousand suns, your nose was on fire. You could feel it all the way back in your throat, an impending itch that was never-ending.  Maybe this was all a sick joke, surviving on your own for this long only to be your own weakness.

The dams broke and a choked sneeze burned in your nose and throat. It was loud enough to wake a village.

The zombie let a corybantic screech as it launched itself into the air, hauling over you for just a bite. She crashed into the stools behind, breaking the wood with sheer force. Springing back up to face her, she dug her claws into your calf breaking the skin through your leggings. Your face contorted in pain as you jabbed the bat down onto her head, striking thrice until her blood thickly coated the floor. The zombie's nails were still stuck in your leg, prompting you to pry her cold, dead hand from your skin.

Looking around, the apartment was now vacant. Trotting over to the kitchen, you began to rummage through the cabinets for any sort of supplies. Back in the bedroom, you threw open the wardrobe and dug around for a bag, coming short-handed. With a heavy sigh, you exited the bedroom, waving the corpse goodbye.

Sprinting to the bathroom, you pushed it open and shuffled through the medicine cabinet, finding only a few rolls of bandages and some medical tape along with empty tubes of Neosporin. Grabbing the gauze, you wrapped it tightly around your calf in hope of stopping the stench of blood from taking over you. Despite the adrenaline coursing through your veins, the scratches on your back were hot and pulsing, begging to be dressed.

Stripping off your large jacket and tee, you glanced at the four long claw marks that trailed across your back. Letting out a sigh of annoyance, you cleaned the cuts with some rubbing alcohol, seeing as there was no soap anywhere. A soft hiss slipped from your teeth as you clenched your eyes shut. Once the burning sensation was over, you haphazardly wrapped bandages around your torso, knowing you'd need to redress it when in a safer location.