17. Bondage

(RaeAnna's POV)

After all of the fluids I received through the IV, I was feeling about 50% better. I had a little of my strength back, I was able to eat a few crackers this morning along with a banana. They were discharging me in just a few hours, saying that everything looked to be back to normal. "How are you feeling this morning?" Gramma Rosie asks me. "I'm feeling better."

"See I told you that you would feel better today." I chuckle softly at her. "You were right. When can I go home?"

"I'll go talk to the doctor, okay? I'm sure it wont be much longer now." I was discharged not long after, feeling the warm sunshine shining down on my face, my golden brown hair whipping around in the wind, was like a breath of fresh air. I have always hated hospitals, there's just a sorrowful feeling in the air around it. I know hospitals help people feel better, but I wouldn't mind never having to go there again in my life.

Several days later my suspension had finally been lifted. I really missed Sarah and Lincoln, I could only hope that they didn't feel any different towards me after what I had done. I was still feeling tired, but nothing I couldn't handle. When I was finished getting Dakota and I ready my grandma drove us to school. We said goodbye to her then I got out of the car, I seen Lincoln walking towards me, with a sense of urgency. He immediately gave me a warm hug. "Ann, I've missed you so much!" He leans back a little, as if searching my eyes for something. "How are you feeling?" I smile widely at my friend's happiness to see me. "I've missed you to Link. I'm doing fine. Glad to see things haven't changed between us."

He looks pained, taking in what I said. "Why would things change?" He says with a hint of somber lacing his tone. "Well..because of what I did." He just shakes his head, smirking slightly. "Nothing could ever change our friendship. I told you I would always be here for you and I meant that, always means forever. Not just a limited amount of time. Understand?" He says sweetly. I just nod to him. "Okay, that means a lot. Let's go inside shall we?"

As soon as I step foot inside of the school, everyone begins talking in hushed whispers, looking at me, something inside of their eyes. Is it fear? Are they afraid of me? I shake my head. "Don't worry about them, okay?" Lincoln whispers in my ear, giving me a quick hug. "Go to class, Ann. I'll see you later." "I..um.yeah, okay, later."

Sarah has been avoiding me all day, does she hate me now? I go inside of the cafeteria avoiding the fearful stares I've been getting all day. "What are you all looking at?!" I hear Lincoln shout from behind me. Everyone instantly turns their gazes elsewhere. "Thanks link." I say to him, with appreciation. "No need. Let's sit." We begin eating our lunch, Lincoln keeps his eyes on me as if he wants to tell me something. "I know you want to say something. What is it?" I question him, eyebrows exalted. He looks a bit nervous. "Well.. I got you a little something a few days ago. It's nothing too special."

He pulls a light purple, velvet box out of his pocket and hands it to me. "What is this?" I inquire. "Open it." I open the box and become astonished. It is a beautiful, silver charm bracelet, filled with different colored butterflies. Reds, blues, yellows, purples and pinks. It is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen. Lincoln takes in my expression. "Do you like it?" He asks. "Like it? I absolutely love it. It's beautiful."

"I know, that's why I got it. It reminded me of you." I blush. "I seen it at the mall and I just had to get it for you." I rise to give him a small embrace. "It's perfect. Thank you Link." He chuckles, quietly in my ear. "You are so welcome. Let me put it on." He helps secure it around my wrist. "It looks great." He states shyly. He is an awesome guy, I think to myself.

I then hear two familiar voices behind me, hoping my ears are deceiving me, I turn around. I see Sarah and she's laughing and talking to none other than the famous Mary Cratow. Why is she hanging out with her? I catch her eye, only for a second and then she looks away from me, ignoring me completely, continuing her conversation with her new found friend. I feel a stinging pain in my heart, I feel betrayed. Lincoln's hand touches mine from across the table, I turn around to face him with unshed tears in my glossy eyes. "It's okay. You have me, you'll always have me. Forget them. If she wants to avoid you she was never a real friend in the first place." I smile at that. "Yeah, you're right. You are absolutely right."

Once the school day is over I find Dakota sitting quietly on the outside bench. "Hey little man." I give him a side hug. "How was school? Did you have fun today?" He frowns. "No we had a math test." I chuckle at his expression. "Don't worry, I don't like math either, but you have to learn it." He looks up to me, a grin playing on his lips. "I know Rae, but math is so boring!" He says, poking his lips out to make a pouty face. I laugh loudly at the adorable look on his face. "Let's go. There's Gramma." We make it home when I get a feeling that is all too familiar to me, eyes watching us, burning holes straight through me. I look around clutching onto Dakota shoulders. "Let's go in baby." I say to him.

I go in to relax on the couch when the phone starts to ring, Gramma answers. "Hello?" "Yes, she is right here." She hands the phone over to me. I cover it to ask who it is. "One of your friends from school." She shrugs.

"Uh.. hello?" I say into the phone. "Someone here wants to talk to you." I hear a kid say on the other end. He then hands the phone off to a man, his voice sending involuntary shivers down my entire body. "Your mission will begin shortly. Be expecting a box to be delivered to you within 2 to 15 business days." He chuckes darkly, then the line goes dead. 2 to 15 days?

I will be on edge until it arrives. They enjoy messing with me, they like knowing they're in control. How can they enjoy something like this? They didn't tell me when it would arrive, only to expect it. I want to scream as loud as I can, but I can't let anyone know what's happening. I only have one thought going through my head right now, here we go again.