13. Rising suspicions

(RaeAnna's POV)

I only managed to get a couple hours of sleep last night, if that. I kept replaying the scene in my head, over and over again. I can't let this define my life, I won't.

I am the victim of the situation, aren't I? I guess when I said I would do anything for my grandma and Dakota I meant it. I'm even going as far as committing crimes to keep them intact. Well, it isn't exactly by choice, but what other options was I given? None. Follow their orders, or my family dies. I can't and will not let that happen.

I wish William's men would have the willpower to take him out, I'd feel a whole lot safer if he were to just drop dead. I know that he is behind this mess. They can't possibly be enjoying this, can they? I scoff. Yeah right, what am I saying? They are probably gaining as much joy from this as William is, They are just as sick as him.

I have to go back to school today, I can't afford to skip again. People would begin to question me, I can't bear that right now. I get up to start getting ready, then the phone in the living room begins to ring, Who could that be?

(Gramma Rosie's POV)

I am busy reading the newspaper on the couch, while I wait on RaeAnna and Dakota to get ready for school.

*Ring Ring*

I rise up and go towards the phone to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Yes. Is this Mrs. Sallow?"

"This is she."

"How are you doing today, ma'am?"

"Just fine. May I ask who is calling?"

"Yes, this is principal Monroe from Bullec elementary. Will RaeAnna be attending school today?"

"Why in the world wouldn't she?"

"Well because, I see she wasn't at school yesterday. I tried to call, but I got no answer. I was wondering the reason for her not coming in. If she can't make it, it is your job to call me and let me know a reasoning for her not coming. That is, ofcourse in case you didn't know she wasn't here."

I freeze for a second in thought. I dropped her off at school yesterday morning. Why didn't she go? I will have to have a talk with her about this, but no reason to get her into trouble.

"Ah, yes. I'm quite sorry about that. She wasn't feeling well yesterday and I forgot to call to let the school know. I'm terribly sorry. That won't happen again, I can assure you."