Rally the Troops

Word of the rumble had spread through the school throughout the course of the afternoon. Tony had been talking everyone's ear off about it all day and it appeared the rumble had been set to happen at 9 p.m. that night. People started showing up at Bucky's around 7:30. Sam was the first one to arrive. He didn't seem too jazzed about the prospect of the rumble, but seemed to have gone through the same thought process that Bucky had and just wanted to be there with his friends.

Now Clint, Steve, Sam, and Wanda were milling about in Bucky's small living room all getting ready to go over to Hela's to meet up before the rumble. Bucky was sitting on his bed with his head in his hands when Steve came in to check up on him. He crossed the room and sat down with Bucky. He sighed heavily. "Hey, Buck. I know you don't want to do this. None of us do."

"You sure about that," Bucky asked as he heard Wanda's laugh mixed with Clint's jokes wafting through the halls. Steve sighed again. "I don't want them to hurt anyone, Steve. Some of them will and you know it."

"So say something to them. When we get to Hela's, give a little speech. A sort of rallying the troops...except the opposite. Explain that our goal isn't to hurt anyone." Bucky nodded and stood with shaking legs. He was almost never nervous. He kept thinking about Natasha. How if any of the Socs were hurt or worse, it would be like if one of his friends met the same fate. If he hurt anyone else, he'd hurt her. He felt so trapped. So powerless.

The crew headed out and got in two separate cars. Bucky's truck and Sam's old muscle car. They made the short trip to Hela's tiny apartment and parked again. Bucky hated this building. It radiated sadness. The walls were dingy and overgrown plants outlined the property's fence. The group traveled up the rotting stairs and knocked on an apartment with the mostly rubbed off "2b" on the door. They knocked and Hela came right to the door. She was dressed in her flashiest outfit. Her shiniest leather jacket and pants with red heels, a striped shirt, and her hair done up in curls. Her red lipstick was still in her hand as she must have been putting it on right as they knocked. She wore a shining grin on her face with a cigarette dangling from her mouth. Hela lived for trouble.

"C'mon in." she said as she went back into her small home. One thing Bucky had never figured out was how she managed to make her small and dingy home appear so neat. She had only three rooms in all. A bathroom, bedroom, and living area. Bucky had not been here much, but he was always surprised at how modern and stylish Hela's apartment was. She was not exactly the type of person you'd expect to be into interior design. Yet, her living area was so colorful and sleek.

The gang plopped down on her comfy sofas and settled for a brief moment while the last of things were gathered and they all heaved a collective sigh. While there were a few of them who were a little more excited than the others, they all knew how dangerous and serious this was. None of them wanted any of their friends to get hurt. Bucky knew he had to say something and that he had to do it now.

"Listen up for a minute everybody," he said as he stood in the middle of the room. The others quieted and Hela peeked out from the bathroom. Bucky saw Loki emerge from the bedroom and lean on the wall with a withering stare on his face. He was clearly not happy that Bucky had let the rumble happen. Yet, he stood there listening. "I know that I don't need to tell you that this rumble is serious, and it's pretty likely that someone is going to get hurt, but I need to remind you that it isn't our goal to hurt people. It's the opposite. Hurt no one unless you have to."

Hela laughed. "That's real sweet, but what do you think we are? A bunch of pantywaists?" The others were silent. They were all growing tired of Hela's ambition, but they couldn't exactly say much. She was a valuable member of their crew and it was at least in part because of her ambition that they were respected. Bucky sighed. "It wasn't a question, Hela. It was a command. You are not to hurt anyone." Hela laughed again. "Yeah. Okay hotshot. Since when are you a dove? Don't tell me it was that raunchy skag Natasha." Bucky started toward Hela, but Steve got up and held him back. It took a lot of his strength. Hela raised her eyebrows. The fuss caused several "Woah"s and "Ooo"s from their friends.

"You keep her name out of your mouth," Bucky said in a low tone. Hela smiled briefly. "Wipe that stupid smile off your face, Hela. This isn't funny," Loki's voice sounded sharply from the other side of the room. Every head pivoted towards him. Hela drew back in surprise. "Oh, please, brother. You're too young to understand. You aren't a real Greaser."

"But he is our friend, Hela. And he's your brother. Don't treat him like that!"

"Hey guys," interrupted Wanda. "I hate to split up the fight, 'cause this is entertaining as hell, but it's 8:30. We gotta head out if we want to arrive fashionably late." Bucky looked at Hela and sighed. "I think most of you understand what I'm saying. Just don't hurt anyone if you don't have to. I won't hesitate to stop any trouble makers. Understood?"

Most of the others nodded and began to collect their things and leave. When they'd filtered out, Bucky was left alone with Steve and Loki. Loki was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed over his chest as he was looking at the two of them. "I'm not coming," Loki said firmly. Bucky walked over to him and clapped a hand to his shoulder. "I figured. And you have every right not to. Just... be safe." Loki nodded. "I'm going to see Natasha. I know where they are planning to be for the rumble. She'll be safe, Bucky."

Bucky sighed yet again before nodding and turning to Steve. Steve looked like his mind was just as preoccupied as Bucky's. He clapped Steve on the back and the two followed the others down the stairs and outside. They all split up to their designated cars and Bucky led them as they started on the ride to the outside of the city. He had a terrible feeling in the pit of his stomach and he was beginning to sweat. Each second, he dreaded the future even more.