Letting Old Wounds Heal

When Bucky woke up, it was dark and his head was absolutely killing him. He felt like a knife was being driven through it. He grunted and sat up a little, but found his muscles felt just about as bad. Everything hurt. He let out a pained grunt and someone put a hand to his head. "Easy there, James," said a voice calmly from beside him. "Natasha?" Bucky could only make out her silhouette in the dark, but he knew it was her. "You're awake. I'm so glad. For a moment there, we thought you were a goner." Bucky could hear the smile in her voice, but also heard a hint of heartbreak in her voice. Like she had been crying. While he couldn't see her, he knew she had been.

He tried to sit up again, but his body rebelled. He let out another grunt, louder this time. Natasha rushed and put a hand on his back. "Hey. It's alright. Let me help you," she said as she lifted him up a little. Natasha helped him get to a sitting position and moved him to a comfortable spot. Then, the sound of a teapot whistling came from outside the room. Bucky then realized he was back in his bedroom at home. "How long was I out," asked Bucky. "It's been almost a day," she responded. The sound was coming from his kitchen, and as his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he began to see his small bedroom take shape. Natasha's silhouette became more detailed every second. He soon saw her beautiful features in front of him. Her red hair was in a downtangle across her pale skin. Her pink lips were parted just slightly. Once he saw them, he couldn't stop looking at them.

"James," she started. "We need to talk." Bucky's mind feared the worst. She didn't feel for him the way she did. She didn't love him. Did he love her? "Maybe," he thought to himself. He'd never loved anyone before. Then again, he'd also never felt the way he felt towards Natasha. For anyone. Was this love? He didn't really know. All he knew was that he wanted to kiss her before she could tell him that she didn't love him. He had to. He had to know what that would feel like.

"James, I just need-" Natasha trailed off when Bucky brought a hand to her cheek. He delicately brushed her hair from her face and cupped her cheek in his hand. "I-" Natasha breathed, desperately trying to continue her thought. She gave in and leaned forward with Bucky. Their lips met and the world fell away. All the problems. All the conflicts. The gangs. The fighting. None of it mattered anymore. There were just the two of them and the kiss. That was all they needed.

The kiss was tender and loving. Bucky had never felt anything like it. It made him feel warm and light headed in the best way. He couldn't tell if it was his definite concussion or the kiss, but he had a feeling it wasn't head trauma.

When the kiss was broken, Natasha drew back and put her fingers to her lips as if she might still feel the magic of the kiss if she touched them. The two of them were silent for a moment, neither wanting to leave whatever wonderful moment they were in. It wasn't either of them who broke the silence. A knock on the door broke them apart. It was Bucky's mom. She was carrying a tray with some tea and cookies on it. This didn't last long though. As soon as she saw Bucky awake, she dropped everything that was in her arms and it clattered to the floor. "Oh, Bucky! You're awake! I thought I'd lost you," she exclaimed. She embraced Bucky in a tight hug, much to his discomfort. She did not seem to care though, and continued the hug. Natasha smiled and almost laughed. "Looks like you've got a fighter, Mrs. Barnes," she said softly. Bucky smiled at her and his mother drew back and pushed his hair off his forehead. "All too much like his father, I'm afraid," she said with a sigh.

She then looked around at the mess on the floor from where she had dropped everything. "Oh, goodness. Look what I've done," she laughed. Natasha threw up her hands. "Don't worry about this. I'll clean it up," she said, not wanting to give the poor woman anything else to worry about. She nodded in thanks. "I'll go make you both some more tea," she said as she left hurriedly.

When she was gone, Bucky and Natasha met eyes again. Natasha's cheeks flushed and she darted her head down. "I uh- sent Steve and Sam out a minute ago to find the others. They should be back within the hour. Peggy went to see Virginia to see how Tony's doing."