The Apology

The next day was just what Natasha had expected. The instant she stepped through the entrance to the school, she felt hot eyes on her. They were everywhere. She got all kinds of stares. Ones of disbelief, cruelty, jealousy, and worst of all, pity. She even had a few people with the audacity to ask her if her and Bucky were together. One person even asked if they'd "banged". Needless to say he wound up with a bloody nose. Courtesy of Peggy of course. One of the few perks of being a Soc girl was that no one would ever believe you did anything wrong. The amount you were underestimated was uncanny, but at times, it was helpful.

Yet, Natasha couldn't help but wonder about Bucky a little. That moment last night when he had said those words. "If they ask, Clint introduced us and we made the two of you come home with us." He had been willing to make himself look like a horrible person to keep her safe and out of trouble. Or the time when he was singing in the car. So loud and so off key. Just to make Natasha smile. Natasha had to snap herself out of these little past moments. He was a Greaser. Greasers were jerks. But then again, so were Socs.

Natasha had dealt with so many jerks all day that when she sensed someone coming up next to her locker, she immediately dove into her spiel that she had repeated at least ten times already. "No, Bucky Barnes and I aren't dating and if you ask you will lose a body part of my choosing."

"Woah, I'm glad you cleared that up. I had myself fooled for a moment there." Natasha quickly slammed her locker to find Bucky leaning against the one next to her. His presence was a pleasant surprise at first, but quickly turned undesirable as soon as Natasha felt eyes on them again. Giggles floated through the crowded hallway as eyes locked on the two of them. Natasha then turned to Bucky angrily. "Bucky, what are you doing here," she asked. Bucky raised an eyebrow, but then realized why she was upset and his expression softened. "I- I just wanted to see how you were doing. And...apologize I guess. I'm sure all this buzz isn't really wanted by you. I'm sorry I caused it." Natasha now rose an unimpressed eyebrow. "So you thought you'd apologize for causing so much gossip from talking to me by... talking to me in a crowded hallway," she deadpanned.

Bucky reached for the back of his neck. "Yeah I see how that plan might have been flawed now. But I want to make it up to you." Natasha rolled her eyes. "That's real sweet and all, but I have to get to lunch," she said as she picked up her bag and began to walk around him. "I luckily planned for that. It just so happens that is a key in my plan of making it up to you." Natasha turned around skeptically. "If you knew anything about me you'd know I'm not a fan of people being cryptic." Bucky smiled. "Alright, alright. I know how to get off campus for lunch. Wanna go to Nick's? I'll buy ya lunch."

Natasha smirked. "Deal, but this doesn't mean I like you," she said seriously. Bucky laughed and began to escort her to the back of the school. Before she knew it, Bucky and her had snuck out the back hallway and she was getting in his car. "How often do you sneak off to lunch in your groady truck," she asked as he started the car. He shrugged. "Well the first time I snuck out was a little over a year ago when Loki showed me the way, but I try not to do it too much so no one gets suspicious." Natasha smiled at his mischievousness. As they pulled out of the school parking lot, Bucky turned the radio on again and Natasha was taken back to the moment he had done the same thing last night. A smile crept across her face. Bucky must have noticed because he turned the music up. The two of them drove in silence the rest of the way to the drive in.

The bright sign of Nick's diner came into view. As they pulled into Nick's, the place was hopping. Inside and out. They pulled up to a spot and Bucky rolled down the window. The autumn warmth came cascading into the car. Natasha and Bucky exchanged a glance, but quickly looked away. Natasha brushed her neatly cut pants to busy her hand and cleared her throat, desperately wanting this awkwardness to end. "So, Bucky. That's an odd name," she started. "Ouch," said Bucky sarcastically. Natasha just rolled her eyes. "I'm just saying I haven't heard it much. It's neat. Did it come from anywhere?" Bucky grimaced at her question. "Well, my real name's James, but when I was a kid, I had quite the pair of buck teeth. I grew into 'em, but the nickname my mom gave me stuck." WHen he finished Natasha laughed at the innocent story. She'd never imagined the head Greaser's name was a nickname from his mother based off an unfortunate facial feature.

It just seemed so childish and pure. "That's a cute story, but how would you feel if I called you James? Not that I don't like Bucky, I just think James suits you." Bucky offered a soft smile. "Call me whatever you want, Nat," he said sincerely. They shared a smile. Before they could do anything else, the owner of the store, Nick Fury, came to take their order. He was an older dark skinned man and he knew most of the kids who went to the high school, as they were his main customers, but he was closer to the Socs and the Greasers. They saw him more. His diner was a popular spot for the gangs to hang out.

"Well I didn't expect to see you two when I came out here." The way he said it made them know he wasn't talking about the fact that they should've been at school. Bucky and Natasha both rolled their eyes. "Ha, ha, Fury. Can we order or what," asked Bucky sarcastically. Nick now rolled his eyes. "If you respect me, I'd be happy to take your orders." The two then ordered and Nick went back inside to get their food. Natasha and Bucky were left alone in the car again. Other than the music, the car was silent.

Bucky finally spoke up. "I'm sorry I caused you so much drama today. I never meant to hurt you." There was something so sincere about the way he said it that made Natasha soften. It then dawned on her that Bucky might actually be a nice guy. She'd never known a nice Greaser. Well, she'd never known any Greaser other than Clint, and she was beginning to think she just wanted someone to blame for Clint's actions besides Clint. Maybe he really had just become a jerk. And worse, maybe she'd bought into lies that Tony had been feeding the Socs. She knew he probably had a reason to tell those lies, but she had never given Greasers besides Clint a chance. She'd just given him so many chances. She let him speak for every Greaser.

But he didn't. Bucky was kind. He was considerate. Steve and Loki had defended her when none of her "friends" would. As she looked at Bucky sitting a few feet from her in his old car he had taken her to get lunch in, it didn't matter that he was a Greaser. He was just Bucky. He was just James. "Thank you for your apology, James. It isn't needed, but I thank you for it." Bucky smiled at her, but before he could say anything else, an all too familiar engine reved behind them.