Please No

After last night me and Kyle were a whole lot closer. We would never leave each other’s sides. We would do everything together. We became inseparable. Then one day it was Kyle falling to the floor. He fell and was holding his stomach and his chest. I didn’t want to leave him so I yelled at the closest person to get a nurse.

The nurse came running in to the library with a bed. I helped her lift Kyle onto it and then pushed him to the surgery room. The nurse looked at me and told me I had to stop there. I couldn’t go in and I couldn’t do anything to help Kyle.

I sat in Kyle’s room crying. What had happened? I couldn’t imagine a world without Kyle. I couldn’t imagine my life without Kyle. I kept thinking of Kyle as if he was already dead but that’s the problem. I have no idea if he’s dead or alive but I have to stay positive for him. He would want me to be positive right?

I tried to be positive. I had to come up with all of these theories like it was just a stomach bug or it was only a minor sickness. But none of these theories convinced me enough there was only one theory that made sense. One of his organs had just failed.

I couldn’t deal with this, I had to know what was happening. I ran to the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) and asked at the desk what had happened to Kyle. No one told me anything. Then I found the nurse that helped me take Kyle to the surgery room. I ran to her and asked her what happened. Tears were streaming down my face.

“Kyle has been in surgery for the past 30 minutes. They are trying to figure out which organ had failed this time.”

I knew it an organ failure.

“Do you know what will happen, when he’ll get out?”

“Well he will get out once they have finished and he hasn’t had an episode like this in a long time. This could possibly mean that his time is coming to an end. I’m so sorry but it was inevitable.”

This can’t be happening, I can't be losing Kyle. He cannot leave me. What am I meant to do without him?

“Can you please notify me when he is out of surgery? I would like to talk to him.”

30 minutes later the nurse found me in the corridor and told me Kyle was back in his room and he was asking for me. I got there as soon as I could which would have been quicker if I could run but luckily his room wasn’t that far from the corridor.

I walked inside and sat on his bed. I immediately started crying and so did he.

“I’m so sorry Ella…”

“Don’t.” I cut him off. “Don’t apologise, it isn’t your fault.”

“That’s not what I was apologising for. I was apologising because…”

He stopped talking and closed his eyes. What was happening?

“Kyle!” I screamed.

“Ella?”

Okay he wasn’t gone.

“Ella I’m not going to make it. I asked the doctor if he could prolong my life just that little bit just so I could talk to you one last time. I love you Ella and don’t you ever forget that okay. I will always love you.”

“I love you too Kyle”

And then his eyes closed, he stopped moving, stopped talking. His hand fell from mine, his body went limp and his heart rate was flat.

Kyle was dead.