The Condition

When I woke up the next morning Kyle was still clutching my hand. I sat up and moved all of the hair out of my eyes. I looked at Kyle sleeping on the chair. He moved it right next to my bed. His face was red and puffy which meant he had been crying.

Kyle started stirring and then he woke up and stared at me. He looked like he was about to cry again but before he could I leant over and kissed him. He looked up at me and then hugged me so tightly I could barely breathe.

“I’m so sorry Ella, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

At this point I realised that we had never shared the reasons of why we were in the hospital. I figured that something like this would never happen but it was inevitable, and inevitability is inescapable.

I have to tell him but I can’t right now I just need some water my throat is so dry. I looked at Kyle pleadingly.

“Can you please go get me some water, my throat feels like the desert?”

“Yeah sure I’ll be back soon.”

Once Kyle left the nurse came in and looked at me. She is giving me that look. You know that pitiful look you get from everyone when you are sick, yeah that one. She notices me looking at her expression and tries to cover it up with a smile.

“I’m really sorry,” she says, “But your condition is getting worse.”

“How is that possible?” I said.

She looks at me apologetically and says, “Every time you try to run or you get hyped or anything that makes your heart rate increase, your heart starts working overtime and it malfunctions and starts shutting down which is the cause of you collapsing.”

I am in shock. This means that my dream will never come true. I can never do anything that will get my heart racing. I close my eyes and start to cry. I get up push past the nurse and walk off – because it’s not like I can run.

I make my way to the library and sit in a corner and let the tears stream down my face. They finally end and my face feels stiff. I am staring at the ground when feet appear. I look up and it’s Kyle. It’s Kyle and I don’t even care how I look or about anything for that matter.

I know my eyes are as red as tomatoes and as puffy as puffer fish but I don’t care. I look at him and yell. I didn’t mean to take it out on him but I have so much anger and he is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“I knew I’d find you here.” He said

“I don’t want your pity or anyone else’s please just leave me alone!”

He stares at me but does not look shocked at all, in fact he starts to laugh. This makes me confused, why is he laughing at my pain?

“You think I came to pity you. I know exactly how you feel. Being locked up in this place, no connection to the outside world it sucks but you get used to it.”

“Oh really, well at least you can get excited, or hyped because when I do my heart starts shutting down! I can’t even run away from people I have to walk.”

Just to show him I get up and start to walk away but something is stopping me.