Chapter Two

Quickly, the time came to where we were standing on the grand front steps before the ancient castle of Hogwarts. Before us are large castle doors and in front of them stands a tall woman who introduced herself as, Professor McGonagall, the head of Gryffindor's House. She stands tall in her emerald green robes, her dark hair tied up tight.

I don't listen when she begins to speak, believing I've already been informed of it all thanks to Huge and Quin. So instead I let my mind and eyes wander.

I'm snapped back to reality as a boy jumps at the feet of Professor McGonagall, yelling, "Trevor!" The poor boy shrinks back as the crowd around me laughs as the kid holds his missing pet toad in his hands. I can't help myself but blush as the boy's face turns as red as a beet and he makes his was down the steps. Poor kid. . .

With a scowl on her face the professor finishes talking and opens the front doors. In every single first year flows and everyone gasps in awe, including myself, as we make our way into the famous Great Hall.

"It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." A strange, crazy hair girl whispers to no one in particular.

"Well of course it is," I mumble to myself, thinking of all the tales told to me by Quin and Hugh.

I jump when I notice Professor McGonagall standing at the front of the hall with a stool and a old wizard's hat. I groan, "I really should start paying attention."

Looking around everyone is staring at the hat, all the professors and every kid who sits at the four tables, one for each house. My eyes travel up to the ceiling again and I gasp as I see a shooting star in the sky above. "Amazing I whisper."

I jump as a booming, almost raggedy sounding voice echoes through the room. Looking up I notice the hat is, wait-. The hat is moving? Woah!

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty. . ." the hat sings. A singing hat, good God!

As the song ends I sit there bouncing from one foot to another as Professor McGonagall starts to call students up and place the hat upon their heads.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" called out the hat as a happy boy slips out from underneath it. The Hufflepuff table erupts in cheers as the joyous boy makes his way over in that direction.

Slowly one by one, a new student follows the next. "Miller-Weasley, Clementine!" The professor calls. The room goes silent and the Gryffindor table suddenly yells, "Weasley!?"

My legs shake like jello as I slowly walk up and sit upon the stool. The room felt miles long once my name was called.

Once the hat is placed on my head I jump when I hear a low, thinking hum. I almost expect the hat to speak to me, only it doesn't. I can tell the hat is too deep in thought. Hugh and Quin said the hat spoke to them?

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouts, leaving me stunned. The table begins to cheer and clap as I sleepily make my way over in that direction.

"Weasley?" I hear whispered among some of the people at the table. "No, she can't be."

"Clem! Over here!" I sigh in relief hearing Hugh's voice and collapse​ in the empty spot next to him.

I lay my heavy head on his shoulder and close my eyes. 'This is going to be a long night,' I think to myself.

I open my eyes out of shock when the name, Harry Potter is announced. I look to Hugh in shock and say louder than I mean, "The Harry Potter?"

He only shakes his head and we watch as the dark haired boy makes his way up to the stool and sits. Impatiently everyone waits and suddenly, "GRYFFINDOR!" The hat cheers and as does the Gryffindor table as all the others grumble. Whispers instantly spread like a wildfire in a drought.