Chapter Twenty

En başından başla

The flight was uneventful, but to his surprise, Gabriel was waiting for him at the airport.

'I was just going to take a cab over,' he said as Gabriel took his suitcase.

'Don't be ridiculous, the cab fares here are extortionate. Come on, let's go.' He led Cas out to the parking lot.

'What on earth is that?' Cas asked, as Gabriel unlocked the doors to a bright blue Cadillac Eldorado.

'You like it?' Gabriel grinned.

'It's hideous.'

A set of fake horns had been bolted on to the hood and wings on the back. Some pink, fuzzy dice hung from the rearview mirror, and the whole thing was filled with creamy white upholstery.

'What, like it's any better than Dean's monstrosity?'

'Hey, don't talk about the Impala like that.'

'You like that thing?' Gabriel said, climbing in.

'It's a great car,' Cas said, sitting in the passenger side.

'Really?' Gabriel turned the key in the ignition. 'Have you done it in the back seat yet?'

'Come on.'

'Oh my God, you totally have! Nice!'

Cas flushed and rolled his eyes. 'Just drive.'

'With pleasure.' Gabriel drove off with a jolt.

Cas watched the city out of the window and felt himself shivering, with the memories all rushing back.

'You okay, kid?' Gabriel said, breaking into his thoughts.

'Yes,' Cas murmured. 'Just thinking.'

Gabriel seemed to realise what was happening. 'They locked me in my room,' he said.

Cas looked around, confused.

'When you... left... They locked me in my room for three days, so I couldn't go after you. I want you to know that I would have.'

'I know you would have,' Cas said, voice cracking. 'But why are you telling me this right before I see them?'

'Because I want you to see how different things are now. And for that, you need context.' He rounded a corner sharply, and Cas recognised most of the buildings. His shivering worsened and he wrapped his arms around himself in an attempt to cover it up, though he wasn't altogether successful. Gabriel switched on the heater, but it didn't do much good.

He didn't say much else for the rest of the short drive, which was unusual for him, but took the pressure off Cas to make conversation. He slowed as they entered their street and heard a sharp intake of breath from Cas. 'Almost there, kid,' he said with a grimace.

Theirs was a long driveway, with short trees lining it. Gabriel brought them right up to the solid oak front door, with matching porch, and parked the car.

Cas's fists uncurled when he saw the drive was free of their father's black Mercedes, but he made no move to get up when Gabriel parked.

Gabriel got out and pulled Cas's suitcase out of the trunk, then went over to the passenger side when Cas still hadn't moved. He opened the door and bent over to look in. 'You need a minute?' he asked.

Cas nodded.

'Okay. I'll take your bag up to your room.'

'My room,' Cas croaked.

'Yeah. Stay here as long as you want. No rush.' Gabriel went inside and once the door had closed on the rolling wheels of Cas's suitcase, it was quiet again.