Chapter 23 - Dreams

Under the light of the waning moon, Sam tossed and turned. She had been away for a week. A week that she had filled with hunting, swimming, reading, writing and any other activity she could occupy herself with. Yet there was an emptiness inside her. A dull hollow ache deep within her chest that she couldn't fill. It was the same feeling that resided within every non-mated werewolf during the mating season. It made you feel empty and alone, desperate for connection and love. It was the Goddess' way of making you seek out your mate. And by going against that innate need, Sam was hurting.

She sighed, desperate for sleep to claim her and appease her disordered thoughts. It felt like hunger was gnawing at her, gnawing at her heart and soul, a hunger for companionship and love.

***

In his bedroom, Aiden lied staring at the ceiling, waiting for sleep to come to him. His mind was occupied by thoughts of potential mates. This was his third summer since he had been of age, and he had to yet to discover his mate. He knew that most wolves spent years searching for their mates, yet that knowledge did little to appease the undeniable need in his heart. It didn't help that every day he saw mates meet and connect. He'd honestly tired of hearing the growled 'mine' that emanated from some male wolf's mouth what felt like every ten minutes. Nor did he enjoy the constant petting and touching that ensued, the inability for the mates to belong to themselves anymore. He didn't understand the possessiveness of wolves. In his mind when he met his mate, he didn't want to own her, he wanted to be hers. He wanted them to be each others, to trust each other fully, and to be one whole. He wasn't sure he wanted to lose his sense of self for his mate. Although he was certain that he wanted his mate, and that if the moon Goddess had chosen her for him, then she would be someone who would let him be himself.

As he finally fell into a restless sleep, his dreams were occupied by Sam. She stood in the doorway to his room, the light from outside filtering through her bronzed curls, highlighting her freckled cheekbones, as her honeyed eyes stared at him hungrily. Dressed in loose pyjama shorts and a sports bra, her toned stomach was clearly visible. The rounded tops of her breasts protruded slightly from the black cloth, the smooth skin inviting Aiden's eyes. Taking in her lithe figure he licked his lips, as his boxers grew tight. She padded towards him, her socked feet silent on the floorboards. She moved slowly, and his eyes took in her swaying hips, her steps sending tremors through her body that made her bounce deliciously. A small smile pulled at her lips as she reached the bed, a cheeky smile filled with trust and desire that reached her eyes, making them shine in the darkness.

Aiden reached over, gently tugging at her hands until Sam settled on the bed beside him. His hands grasped her waist, and he chuckled as she let out a soft sigh. Leveraging himself on his elbow, he sat up, bringing his face in line with her inviting breasts. His grip tightened slightly on her waist as his thumbs rubbed circles into her skin. He could feel the muscles under his touch, the only indication of her underlying strength and power. She may be small, but she was by no means weak. Yet despite her power, she yielded to his touch, her lowered eyes burning into his as her hands gripped the bedsheets. She bit her lip slightly, bringing his attention to her rosy mouth. Aiden raised himself slightly higher, using his muscles to bring his torso up to meet Sam's. Leaning down he brushed her luscious inviting lips with his, softly caressing her. The sweet kiss lasted only briefly before both pulled back, eyes locked. The tension in the air seemed to change suddenly, the scent of raw desire overwhelming their senses. Aiden made the first move, growling as he kissed Sam again, a kiss filled with passion and need.

Sam's lips were momentarily unresponsive but then she yielded to the lust, allowing Aiden to devour her. His tongue gently probed her bottom lip and she willingly opened, giving him access. He invaded her mouth with force, starkly contrasting the softness of his hands as they moved higher, caressing her sides. One hand cupped her face as the other massaged her breasts. In response she wound her hands around his neck, playing with his soft curls. Her teeth nibbled his lower lip, and he growled. Gripping her leg he manoeuvred her so that she straddled his waist. His tongue continued to probe her mouth, before he gently moved downward, peppering her neck with his kisses. His hands explored her body, roaming down to cup her ass and then moving up her toned back. Hers mirrored his movements, softly caressing his shirtless torso, before making their way lower. In response to her ministrations, he softly sucked at Sam's neck, causing a low moan to escape her throat.

The noise drove Aiden over the edge and he suddenly flipped Sam over ... landing on an empty bed with a desperate need for release. He moaned. These dreams were going to be the death of him.

***

Deep in the forest, Sam eventually managed to fall into a deep dreamless sleep, her thoughts blissfully empty as she dozed.

The next morning she was awakened by the harsh trill of her phone, and she rolled over in her sleeping bag, scrabbling to find it. She picked it up on the third ring and was met by Obi's calm, soothing voice.

"Hiya Sam!"

"Hi Obi," her voice was thick with sleep.

"Just got back to the packhouse, so just phoning to see if you're wanting an update now, or if you'd rather leave everything until after the mating season?"

"Well I'd really like to have a plan ready for after the mating season, so I could probably start planning now. Although I'm waiting for some documents to arrive, so I guess there's no point in an update until those are her."

"You waiting for blueprints and stuff?"

"Yeah,"

"Those have arrived, got here at the same time as I did." Through the phone, Sam heard the rustling of papers.

"Ah right, well then I probably should come and get those..." Sam hesitated, she really didn't want to risk going back to the packhouse. "Actually, any chance you could bring them to the treehouse? That way you can give them to me at the same time as your update?"

"Sounds good, tomorrow early morning work for you?"

"Yup, see you then!" Sam hung up the phone and rolled over, hoping to go back to sleep. She truly wasn't looking forward to going to the treehouse, it was quite close to the packhouse, and wolves could wander all the way. But she really needed to see those papers, and she desperately needed a proper shower and a meal. She sighed. Her restless mind was suddenly focused on the plan for taking on the next compound, and she knew she wouldn't get to sleep. Slipping out of her sleeping bag, she started packing her belongs. She had a long run back, and she would need to get going soon.