17 - New Friends

Magsimula sa umpisa

I didn't reply, but she caught a glimpse of my reddened cheeks, and her renewed chuckle followed me into my bedroom.

A notification materialised the moment I applied my Bridge.

Update 15.10b:
• Minor bug fixes

The loading animation pulsated under the message during the installation. I huffed in impatience and fidgeted with a loose thread on my sheet.

Would this new version revert my virtual best friend's gender back to female? We had only spent a few moments together with the Bennets in the drawing room before I had paused the game. I hadn't managed to check how close to Charlotte's his spirit was. And I had yet to process the implications of this divergence from the original plot.

Would Charles end up marrying someone? Not Mr. Collins, obviously--the clergyman was engaged to my middle sister. Perhaps he would remain a bachelor, and enjoy life with a freedom that his female counterpart could only dream of. However, this hypothesis was rendered unlikely by his status of heir to Sir Lucas' fortune. I sighed: even in this variation, my friend would have to find a suitable spouse.

The animation disappeared as my cotton bedsheets faded to sky blue velvet. On my right, Mrs. Bennet and Mary faced each other in the twin armchairs, Collins hovering behind the latter. Sitting on the sofa next to me, Kitty and Lydia stifled yawns while we listened to the young clergyman's recollection of his successful proposal. Jane had picked a window seat, and nodded at his tale with a daydreaming smile, no doubt lost in memories of yesterday's ball. As for Charles Lucas, he was leaning against the mantelpiece.

A white aura surrounded him as a message floated above his head.

Would you like to keep this custom NPC, or revert to your previous save?

While I pondered the question, Charles turned to face me and shot Idris' disarming smile.

"Of course not. I'll keep him. Thanks, Bridge."

Would you like to keep the other custom NPCs that you haven't encountered yet?

"Yes, please."

The aura disappeared, leaving me curious about Mr. Lucas and the characters I hadn't met yet.

When Mr. Collins paused to catch his breath, I jumped on the occasion to interrupt him, and at the same time get better acquainted with my updated neighbour. "Charles, would you like to go upstairs?"

An awkward silence settled on the room after my words, broken by my mother's snappy reply. "Lizzy, what an improper proposal. Mr. Lucas being your childhood friend does not excuse your shocking invitation."

Charles squirmed in front of the fireplace, a vibrant shade of pink colouring his cheekbones. "Please, Mrs. Bennet. I am quite certain Eliza meant no harm."

My gaze flickered from him to Mr. Collins and Mary's matching disapproval. What was inappropriate about a man and a woman chatting in a private place, a fortiori two close friends? I lowered my eyes before the feminist within could burst out and cause a collective heart attack.

"Lizzy, dear Charles, how would you fancy a stroll to Netherfield?" Jane's offer took me by surprise. I turned to her with perplexity, pondering the effects of a last meeting with Bingley's party. Meanwhile, she went on, "My handkerchief seems to have escaped my reticule yesterday. I would like to question Mr. Bingley on the matter before his leaving to town after noon."

Mrs. Bennet tightened her lips in a fine line, divided between decorum and her wish to parade about her eldest daughter one last time. "You may take the coach if available."