Jaydick《53》Nighthood

I’ve listened to stories of my adopted parents for years now, but no matter how many people I ask, it’s still not the same thing as meeting them in person.

My uncle told me my dad was really peppy and a huge extrovert, and had everyone wrapped around his finger, and nobody complained about it. They were too wrapped up in his charm and good looks.

Apparently my father was just the lucky guy my dad decided to marry, as seeing he was always so stubborn all the time, and it just attracted my dad like a magnet to a paper clip.

My Uncle Roy told me of their adventures. Apparently they both were former Robin’s and worked for Batman, my grandfather a long time ago.

My dad was the first one, and eventually got fired and then my father was taken in by my grandfather a few months later. I was always told the two hated each other at first.

But after my father's death, it really took a toll on my family, and then entered my Uncle Tim, who my father was mad at and almost killed multiple times when he came back from the dead.

I’ve always heard so many stories about them, but there are so many memories that I'm missing out on.

When I was four years old there was what was called a freak accident, but I knew better.

Both my parents helped stop an alien apocalypse, and died along the way. The locals think they just died in a car accident that my grandpa staged to cover their deaths up.

After that there was a battle for my custody. My Uncle Tim and Aunt Steph didn't put up much of a fight, as seeing I never really saw them much.

My grandfather did fight against my Uncle Damian though, but in the end Uncle Roy won custody with the fact he's had experience in raising kids.

After hearing the story of how they got engaged, and after Uncle Roy explained the pure amount of love his parents had, it became too much.

And that's how I ended up stealing high tech from S.T.A.R Labs, and using it to go back in time.

I looked at the device in my hands. It was rather small, but it had a place to enter in a date to go back into, so I guess it works.

March 15, 2019, Gotham City, 11:00 pm.

"Jason, how was work today?" Dick asked his husband, as he filled two glasses with sink water.

"Fine. Same as every day, I guess." Jason answered, chopping up the onions on a small cutboard, and dropping the cut pieces into the stir fry cooking in the stove.

"So nothing exciting happened? Not a single kid was out of line today?"

Jason stopped cutting the onion for a second, closing his eyes before sighing.

"I guess I'm just a little tired is all. I do have to deal with at least 22 kids per hour for five hours and grade homework in between."

Dick just hummed in response as he grabbed two plates from the cabinet above the kitchen counter.

Jason simply opened his eyes again and went back to cutting up the rest of the onion, before placing the knife and the board in the kitchen sink and attending to the sizzling stir fry.

"Jay..."

"We should really just talk this over. I say I don't want to, and you say you do, and then we get mad. But we need to decide." Jason said, before turning off the burner.

"Okay then, if that's what you want. You go first. Why don't you want a kid?" Dick asked, crossing his arms over his chest before turning to face Jason.

"I don't want a kid because our kind of work is dangerous, Dick. What if we both end up dying? I don't want our kid to be orphaned."

Before Dick could respond to that, Jason continued.

"We both know what it's like to not have parents. It sucks. And I don't want our kid running around in the night either. It's too dangerous."

After that Dick fell silent, staring down to look at the clean white plate set in front of him, staring at it like it would give him answers.

"How about you? What's your reason?" Jason asked suddenly, wanting to cut the awkward tension and silence in the room.

"I... I just want to have a family. I want just one normal thing in our lives, Jay. But I guess you make better points."

Dick shut his eyes and balled his fists in his lap, trying to contain the tears that were bound to spill if he opened them again.

Jason quickly rushed over to his side, and wrapped his large arms over the older man, giving him a side hug, and pressed a small kiss to his cheek.

"I think you made better points." Jason whispered, before tucking his head into the crook of his husbands neck.

"So who wins? We both made excellent points. I don't want our kid to become orphaned either, but I also just want a kid."

"Quiting could work." Jason mumbeled into his neck, causing Dick to scoff.

"Yeah right, as if either one of us, let alone both of us are willing to just up and quit being a hero for good. That's just not in our nature."

Jason just hummed into his neck, as if to agree with him, but content on just staying in that position.

The silence that fell upon the two wasn't awkward this time, it was just a little heavy, with the topic of what to do wafting in the open air.

"We have to decide soon. We're not getting any younger here, and I'm pretty sure Ra's won't let you in the pit again." Dick claimed after about 10 minutes of silence.

Jason just sighed in annoyance, having to agree with the older man again, just simply not wanting to.

"I know. And I think..."

Jokes on you if you thought I was gonna finish that lol. I'm evil, I admit.

Comment if you would like a part 2.

Next chapter is... I haven't decided.

Hope you have a good day, and stay healthy! 6 ft apart!