13

Ivana

"Why is Aiden not coming with us?" I raised a brow as Ace walked in front of me while Aiden grinned at us, standing on the porch.

Just this morning, Aiden had told me about Ace's decision to take me back to Phoenix and true to his word, we were now heading towards his car. After chugging down a mug of the extremely sweet cold coffee, he'd disappeared into his room for a whole three hours claiming that he had a bad stomach ache and had only appeared a few minutes ago, citing that I needed to get ready for our return as soon as possible.

I didn't really mind the short notice, in fact, it was me who had been continuously pestering him to take me back for the last twenty four hours, even picking up fights just so I could get rid of him and his overbearing personality. But now, I was finding myself a tad bit hesitant to go back.

Maybe it was because I was unsure of what would happen once we got back. Ace still hadn't bothered to talk to me about the kisses, nor had his sour disposition undergone any major changes. He was continuously ignoring me like he always did. It was like he, or rather, whatever secrets he was keeping, never allowed him to be nice to me except for a few acts of kindness that had somehow slipped under the radar.

"You sure you want to go home?" Ace muttered drily while seeing to it that I got into the car safely.

I scowled.

What an impertinent asshole.

"While I appreciate you driving me back, you don't need to act like you're doing me a favour by doing this." I side-eyed him as he got in and slammed his door shut before nodding at Aiden and backing out of the driveway. "After all it was you—"

"Yeah yeah," Ace rolled his eyes and I resisted the urge to punch the living daylights out of him. How he could be so utterly unbothered and brazen was beyond me. "I'm taking you back now so do me a favour and shut up." He remarked coldly and I stared at him open-mouthed.

"Did you just—" I floundered angrily but then shook my head. It was useless talking to him. This boy couldn't even hold a proper conversation with me without riling me up. Trying to tell him that he was being rude was just going to make me angry to no end without having any effect on him. "You know what, forget it. I'm not dying to talk to you either." I glared at him and turned to my side, looking outside the window.

My brows furrowed in confusion as I noticed that we were driving opposite to the way that we had taken to come here. If there had been another way to go back, why had Ace not told me anything about it even after he'd driven all the way back to pick me up?

Determined not to initiate conversation with him, I grabbed my phone and turned on the maps and there it was, a much shorter one-way highway leading back into Phoenix and...my jaw hanging open as I stared at the small icon on the screen.

There was a freaking taxi rental not even a mile away from the hideaway house. If only I had walked this way instead of making myself undergo that pointless torture...

But then I wouldn't have gotten a kiss from Ace.

I shook my head, shuddering in disgust. How could I even think about that? I hated him with my entire being and that was the barebones truth.

But you loved the kiss.

I suppressed a groan before shutting off my phone and staring blankly into the distance. I could lie to anybody but it was no use lying to myself. My feelings for Ace, despite his standoffish nature, were anything but of hatred.

I didn't like him very much, but I was definitely and very obviously attracted to him. It was hard not to fall for him when his visual was so splendid.