Daughter of Darkness Ch. 5

Chapter 5

Ebony opened her mouth to scream but no sound would come out.

The boy cleared his throat again and shifted his stance into a less intimidating one. He was wearing a white shirt and black pants. His black hair was tousled slightly. He was looking at her strangely, his eyes full of tears. He bit his lip and spoke hoarsely, "Ebony?"

Familiarity and danger both radiated from him. She was puzzled by his admiring eyes. 'Why is he looking at me like that? She wondered, 'Why are there tears in his eyes?" 

 She spoke softly, "I'm Ebony."

He let a tear spill over his cheek and he wiped it off quickly. He shook his head, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Ebony I have something to tell you."

"Who are you?"

He smiled gently, "Ebony, I'm your brother."

Ebony shook her head, "No, that's impossible. They told me I don't have any family left."

He shrugged, "They told me that too." He noticed the look of confusion on Ebony's face and he gestured to the log-bench, "Why don't we sit down? I'll explain everything to you." She nodded and allowed herself to be guided to the bench. Her mind was racing. 

She looked up at this boy who she was terrified of last night. He's my brother? I have family. How do I know he isn't lying? she wondered. She looked and him and then looked at herself. We have the same fair skin, and the same black hair and eyes. Beginning to smile she asked him, "What's your name?"

He laughed, "Kole."

"Kole? How come you got a name like Kole and I got stuck with Ebony?"

He laughed even harder, "Do you know what our names mean though? That has something to do with what I am here to tell you."

She shook her head.

"Ebony means dark strength, and Kole is short for Charcoal."

Ebony lifted an eyebrow, "I don't understand."

He adjusted himself on the log, and pushed his hair out of his eyes uncomfortably, "There's another big thing that I don't really know how to tell you. Ebony, it's about our father--"

Her eyes got wide, "Our father? We have a living father?"

"Not exactly..."

her mind raced, My own brother is here with me, speaking to me face to face, and telling me that I have a father? Ebony leaned towards him on the log, "Spit it out!"

He did exactly that. He spoke very quickly, "Ebony I know you are going to think that I am crazy and think that I am lying to you but I swear I am not. I swear to all the gods that I am not lying to you." He took a deep breath, "But our father is the god of the Underworld, Hades, you know from mythology? Ya well he is our dad and he sent me here to bring you to him because he needs us now." He took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. Then he opened them slowly to examine Ebony's reaction. 

She stared at him wide-eyed and in disbelief. That's impossible, but his face is so serious. she thought. She looked at him suspiciously, "You- you have to be joking! I mean, Hades?"

His face fell and his eyes looked at the ground, "I knew you wouldn't believe me. You just met me, you have no reason to. But maybe Holly," he said her name with disgust, "could help you understand." He stood up and looked at Ebony. She wasn't moving. He reached his hand out to her and she took it. He helped her up. She leaned into his arms and he hugged her tightly. Tears silently fell from her eyes onto his chest. He was now a part of her life, and she would never let him go.

[I would love to hear feedback from you all! Comment and Vote <3 And if anyone has any ideas on how I could make this better that would be much appreciated! Thanks! XoXo, E]