Chapter 180: Fifth Life - Stay with Me III

Start from the beginning

"Where are you and Yan sent to this time?" I ask.

"We've been assigned to search the central marshlands for a hidden village. The last known place where Qin Yun was rumored to have fled to."

"Could this have been where he's hidden before showing up in the border town?"

"Possibly. Although I'm only playing a part, I know we won't find Qin Yu there."

"Why are they looking for him? To kill him?"

"The objectives aren't clear... But those in charge wants something he has."

"Something he has?"

"En. Look, the stars are shining bright now."

The sun has gone. The moon now replaces it. Stars twinkle brightly in contrast with the dark violet sky.

"Reminds me of the empty space we lived in for millenniums. It's odd how our most peaceful life involved me being asleep the entire time. And yet you somehow came to love me as the little pebble you were."

"I was a rock, and now I'm a pebble?"

"A lovely, wonderful stone I can always rely on... When do you plan on ending this Wicked Mist infiltration anyways? How long will you be gone from Bleak Night?"

"Hopefully, not much longer. I want to stop everything and just be with you."

"Don't you want to do anything for yourself?"

"I've spent enough years doing things for myself. Now I just want to spend my time with you... Make up for all the years we've been apart."

"What about becoming the Demon Lord?" My voice gives off a wary inflection. I know that I don't want Yang Zi Huo to leave. If he wishes to go to the Demon Realm... then I would go with him without question.

"It's a big responsibility. Leading the Demon Realm is not the same as leading Bleak Night."

"If it's something you want to do... To help the demons who are here because of the unrest in the demon realm, you should do it. They need someone like you."

"And I need you."

"I go where you go. Perhaps, it's time to take my travels elsewhere other than the Mortal Realm."

"Really? Aren't you afraid of the demons in the Demon Realm?"

"I'll have the most scary demon at my side. And you know, I'm not completely helpless." 

Yang Zi Huo pecks the side of my head.

"You're right. I miss you incredibly, but I have to go now. Don't follow me."

I look at him. "See you soon?"

"Yeah, see you."

Even though he was just hugging me, holding me in his arms, as soon as he is conscious, he is gone.

Not long my eyes open to the ceiling of my room at Withering Snow Inn.

Life separated from Yang Zi Huo should be a life I'm used to.

However, my thoughts are constantly flooded with memories of his voice, his touch, his laughter. Thoughts about his wavering safety.

It's been a week since he's gone. The daily routine of helping Zi Xue at Withering Snow Inn has become dull. I'm easily distracted and find myself daydreaming, my mind away from the work, although I am able to find solace in continuing practice in sword fighting.

"Yong He? Did you hear me?" Zi Xue asks, leaning in to my line of sight.

"Oh, sorry? What is it?"

"I'm going to go out to the market. Please watch the place while I'm gone." She tells me.

"Wait, I'll go with you." I throw the washcloth to the side and run over to her.

"All right then. We'll close up the inn for awhile."

Walking through the crowd, I'm glad to be out for some fresh air. Even if that air is heavily condensed the demon scent of demon city. I walk with Zi Xue as she stops multiple times to buy certain items.

We come across a vendor selling tiny orbs, glowing with orange and teal colors. These aren't the only strange things being sold in demon city. There were enchanted weapons and numerous power enhancing elixirs. Very much like that of the Ghost Market, although each have their own unique style.

Hunched over, a small creature crawls underneath the seller's table and disappears under the tablecloth. Curious by what it could be, I bend down and lift the cloth to find a child with dirt smeared on her face. She flinches upon seeing me and covers her mouth to hide her whimpering.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask her calmly.

She seems different. Nothing about her stands out like the others. Her eyes are big but a dull brown. Long hair messily hidden inside the hood of her cloak. Even her smell is different.

"You're human?" I finally figure it out.

A troop of demon guards flood the area. I let the tablecloth droop over and stand in front of where the girl is hiding in case they get too close. From the looks of it, they are searching for someone. Furiously pulling and dragging any young looking girl to take a second look.

"Zi Xue," I call. "What's going on?"

She looks at the group of men rushing through. "Wicked Mist. Don't stare at them."

She forces me to turn my back while whispering in my ear. "They bare the red bands around their arms. The branch of Wicked Mist that oversees the humans taken into demon city."

"You mean-- They kidnap humans?"

"Just don't pay them any mind."

Seeing that the frightening Wicked Mist troop had gone from the area, I say to Zi Xue, "I think... I know what they were looking for."

Her eyebrows are raised questioningly.

I get on my knees, lifting the tablecloth to show her the little girl. Zi Xue's eyes grow big.

"We should take her with us," I say.

Zi Xue looks around at the other customers and vendors, all oblivious to what's happening.

"We cannot."

"So you want to leave her here? For some other demon to snatch her?"

"We shouldn't mess with Wicked Mist business, Miss Yong He. Your safety is my only task."

"No matter what discord Wicked Mist has with mortals, we shouldn't allow them clearance to harm innocent people."

"We cannot do anything to save her. At least not now."

"I cannot accept that."

To the little girl, I try to smile warmly and coax her. "Meimei, you're running away from the bad men?"

She stares at me with tears building in her eyes, unable to answer. Snot running down her nose. A very pitiful child, tugging at my heart. Reminding me of Lu Kai.

"Jiejie is just like you. I'm human. Look." I lift my sleeves showing her the normal looking arms I possessed.

"Will you come with me?"

Continuing to glare, she doesn't make a sound.

"I won't hurt you. I promise I'll take you out of here."

I place my hand out for her to hold. For a long time, she only stares. Just then, I  see her tiny hand, completely smudged with dirt, slowly reaching for mine.

Finally, her warmth is in my hold. I secure her small hand and pull her out from underneath the table. Hiding her close to the side of my body, Zi Xue suddenly closes in and covers the other side of the little girl. She looks at me disapprovingly. Nevertheless, she shields the little girl, and we make our way back to Withering Snow Inn.

My heart has been heavy this past month. 😓

Writing the sweet scenes between Yang Zi Huo and Yuxing was too sweet these past couple of chapters, I feel my arteries clogging. 🥰