i really love you

you're my best friend // queen

mike & el

Mike was seated comfortably on the couch in his basement, working on finishing up a campaign the Party would be starting the next day. Beside him, El was flipping through pages of a magazine, her legs resting right across his lap. The radio across the room was playing, song after song serving as background noise while they each did their own thing.

Today was one of those days where they didn't need to be doing anything in particular, they didn't even need to be talking to one another. They were happy just as long as they were together.

They'd been quiet for awhile now, enjoying simply being in each other's presence, but it wasn't too long before one of them finally broke the silence.

"Hey Mike, what does BFF mean?" El asked, her eyes still glued to the page she had been reading.

"The letters stand for best friend forever, so in your case that would be Max." He explained, while continuing to jot down things in his notebook.

El nodded as she took in the new information, but after a moment, she looked his way, her brows furrowing once she realized what he had said.

"Max isn't my best friend?"

"No? I thought she was."

"She's my friend, but you're my best friend." El said, causing him to finally look her way. "You're the person I want to tell everything to and the person I always want to be around. You know every single thing about me and I know you'll always be there for me. You're also the only one who can always put a smile on my face, no matter what."

Mike couldn't help the foolish grin that spread across his face, feeling his heart swell after hearing her say those things about him.

"You sure you want me around forever though?"

"Of course I do." El giggled, looking at him as if his question were completely ridiculous.

"Good." He grinned, reaching his hand out to grab hers and bringing it up to press a soft kiss to the back of it. "And you're my best friend too, El."

"Really?"

"Absolutely."

A soft smile graced El's face before she leaned forward and smashed her lips against his. He wasn't prepared for the sudden show of affection, but quickly managed to catch up and press his lips to the pair that he loved so much.   

Just as they pulled away from one another, the radio host announced the next song that would play, immediately catching Mike's attention. 

"Wow, perfect timing." He muttered, before slightly lifting El's legs to get out from underneath them. He then placed his notebook on the table and rushed over to where the radio was, turning it up a couple of notches.

"You wanna dance?"

"Of course!" El exclaimed, mindlessly tossing her magazine to the side on her way over to him.

She took his hand, letting him spin her around before he pulled her in close to him. As the song started to play, they moved along to the music, much like they had done many times before in that very basement.

Mike began belting out the lyrics, El joining in at the parts she knew, neither caring if any of his family heard them from upstairs.

"Ooh, you make me live

Whatever this world can give to me

It's you, you're all I see"

Mike made the sudden move of twirling El around once more, her laughter momentarily drowning out the music as they got lost in the moment.

The two were brought back to reality (and reminded of the unfortunate fact that they still didn't know how to dance) when El nearly tripped over his feet, almost making them both tumble to the ground.

They did their best to contain their laughter as they quickly recovered from the mishap and started singing again, meaning every single word that came out of their mouths.

"Oh, you're the best friend that I ever had

I've been with you such a long time

You're my sunshine and I want you to know

That my feelings are true

I really love you

Oh, you're my best friend"

They continued to sing along with every word, each getting so into it that they had failed to hear the many footsteps coming down the stairs. Those footsteps belonging to their friends all came to halt once they'd reached the bottom of the stairs, none of them really expecting to walk in on that.

"Oh my God." Max groaned at the sight. "What are they doing?"

"Being Mike and El, what else would you expect from them?" Lucas said, getting a rather amused snort out of Will.

Dustin sighed, shaking his head in disbelief. "We have officially lost him."

"Oh please, we lost him the moment we found El out in the middle of the woods." Lucas snickered, the others nodding in agreement.

The four of them waited rather impatiently for the song to be over, not moving from their spots across the room.

They stood still, watching as Mike spun a giggling El around like they were in the middle of a dance floor rather than his dimly lit basement. The couple hadn't even noticed anyone else was there, but that wasn't too much of a surprise. The world could be going up in flames right about now and those two probably wouldn't even notice.

Once the song had finally ended, they all figured that they could make their presence known. Only then, the couple across the room went in for a kiss and that was all it took for the four to take off, rushing back up the stairs.

If they'd learned anything over the years, it was that once Mike and El got off in their own little world and started kissing, there was truly no stopping them.