know there's nothing i wouldn't do for you

hesitate // jonas brothers

mike & el

Mike had forgotten what it was like to feel truly scared to death. It had been so long since he or any of the others had been in that kind of situation, but here they were, once again, fighting monsters from another dimension.

Billy was flayed. The mind flayer was in him and had taken control.

Things were strange again and the fear of not knowing whether they'd see tomorrow was back inside of all of them and that fear only grew, the deeper they got into the chaos that was now brewing in Hawkins.

Watching as El tried to fight against the flayed teen, he was terrified, the thought of this thing hurting his girl the only thing on Mike's mind.  

But then somehow, everything got worse and he was actually hurting El, right in front of him, in front of all of them. It wasn't some terrible possibility in his head anymore, it was real and he was truly scared to death.

After grabbing the nearest weapon he could find, Mike attacked, not hesitating for even a second as he aimed the metal rod at the back of Billy's head. Only his plan didn't go as he'd hoped it would.

Billy turned instantly, catching the rod in hand, preventing Mike from moving it any further. He snatched the weapon right from Mike's grip, mindlessly throwing it off to the side.

Mike backed away, his body trembling with fear. He thought he would just knock the guy out and that would be it, but unfortunately it wasn't that simple. It never was and he was a fool for thinking that it could be.

Now, as he stood panting, pressed up against the wall, he just knew this would be the end of the road for him. El was on the ground, in no shape to save him, and as for his friends, well, they probably wouldn't do anything due to the shock he knew was running through all of them. Their feet might as well be glued to the floor.

There was no one to come to his rescue.

He was about to die and that was that.

In that moment though, he was more grateful that he had saved El from being choked to death. She could've died if he hadn't have intervened. He should've done something quicker, he knew that, but now wasn't the time to dwell over it. He had saved her just in time, that was all that mattered.

He could only hope that El would be able to fight back by the time Billy had finished him off, or someone else would decide to jump in to help her, so at least he wouldn't have died for nothing.

As Billy came closer, no doubt ready to smash Mike into nothing but a pile of bones, he was suddenly lifted from the ground, his flayed body floating high in the air.   

Mike looked up in shock, until he saw movement from the floor. El had somehow mustered up the strength to get up, using every bit of her power on Billy. Strained groans and screams fell from her mouth, proof that she was indeed, using every bit of her power. 

She made her way over to them, placing herself in between the two, protecting Mike from the monster that was now Billy Hargrove.

Her screaming had gotten excessively louder, until she forcefully threw Billy through the brick wall.

Then, as if her legs had completely given out on her, she fell right back into Mike's arms. Their bodies slid straight down to the floor, Mike wrapping his arms around her, while her head fell back on his shoulder.