Chapter 58 - Victory

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

Cross, Yang, and the team of Clones continued to press on through the halls of the Reliant, occasionally taking down a few Droids that have gotten past defense perimeters of the ship. Currently, the mission was just to keep them away from vital access points that lead to other decks from the hangar. Suddenly Cross' communicator lit up and General Sinalla's voice boomed through the device.

Sinalla: "Captain Cross! A Separatist dreadnought to the port has begun firing at our cannons! Get to Gunner Section Gamma and help them out!"

Cross didn't stop running as he tapped his communicator to respond.

Cross: "Copy that General, heading there now!"

Cross tapped his communicator again to turn it off and continued running. All of the others heard and didn't need to ask why they were heading to the gunner position. As they ran, Yang glanced over to Cross.

Yang: "What do you think they need us there for?"

Cross: "Don't know, but we're about to find out."

As the group rounded the corner to the entrance of the weapons bay, they all prepared themselves for what they might face. They ran up to the blast doors and they opened swiftly revealing tons of debris, dead Clones and Droids, and four out of the six cannons in the bay were completely destroyed leaving large patches of fire all around the room. It didn't take a genius to know what would happen if the fire reached the ammunition cache in the room. Cross looked over to two of the men behind him and pointed to the fire extinguishers, and then to the ammunition cache. The two troopers instantly knew what he was trying to say, so they ran over to the extinguishers and began to put out the fires by the cache. Cross then turned to the other five Clones.

Cross: "We need to keep this bay secure. Check for anyone still alive. If the Droids come in firing, I want the most of us to survive."

Troopers: "Yes sir!"

Two of the men began to guard the doors while the other three began checking the bodies on the ground. Yang could barely hear him over the firing of the two remaining cannons blasting at the Separatist ship to the left of the Reliant. One of the gunners shifted in his seat to face the duo.

Gunner: "A little help here would be nice! My loader got blown all the way to the Outer Rim when that first volley hit!"

The good captain himself glanced over at Yang who was eager to do something.

Cross: "Yang. Since you're probably the strongest one here, I need you to help the gunner reload the shells into the cannon. They're heavy and you can carry them faster than anyone here. Think you're up for it?"

Yang: "You got it."

Before Yang was about to rush off, Cross quickly grabbed her right arm firmly. Yang turned back curiously.

Cross: "Don't blow yourself up kid."

Yang smiled and Cross let her go. After she retrieved the first shell and began loading it into the cannon, she wanted to do something to ease her mind despite the situation. Continuing to load the cannon, she made small talk with the gunner.

Yang: "Sooo...got a name?"

The gunner pressed buttons on the light green console in front of him and turned over to Yang with a chuckle.

Charles: "Name's Charles. You?"

Yang: "I'm Yang. Nice to meet-"

Yang was cut off when the cannon jolted back and her ears began to ring. Charles had fired the cannon while she was standing right next to it. After a brief moment, the Clone responded.

Charles: "Sorry what was that? I couldn't hear you."

Yang: "Nevermind...just keep firing."

Charles: "Way ahead of you."

A few more rounds were loaded and a few shots were fired until the floor suddenly stopped shaking. Yang looked out the forcefield the cannon was positioned behind and noticed that all of the Separatist ships had stopped firing and began to jump away. Before she could even ask a question, General Sinalla's voice became audible over the ship's intercom.

Sinalla: "Attention crew of the Reliant. The Separatist fleet is in full retreat and Generals Kenobi and Skywalker have rescued the Chancellor. Victory is ours!"

The euphoria and pride echoed through the halls of the ship from the crew. Everyone was patting each other on the back, praising each other and the such. Yang sighed in relief now that the battle was over. Cross walked over to her and patted the blonde huntress on the back.

Cross: "You did good out there today. I'm proud of you."

Yang didn't say anything and simply smiled. Cross began to walk away until Yang asked a question.

Yang: "Is...this what it's like? All the time?"

Cross stopped walking. He didn't bother turning around to answer her.

Cross: "Yeah..."

After a silent pause, he moved on. Yang helped some of the Clones pick up some of the pieces of debris that covered the deck of the gunner position. While she was digging through some scrap, she felt someone tap on her shoulder. She turned around expecting to see Cross, only to see Commander Jackett staring her in the face.

Jackett: "I don't remember letting civilians on board this ship, and I'm certain the General doesn't remember either."

Yang: "Uuh, I'm with Cross. He was stranded on my planet and we're friends, so I offered to come here to help."

Jackett stood there like a statue. He remained silent, so long that Yang was a little worried if he was okay.

Jackett: "Fine. Remain out of restricted areas. I don't approve of you being on board, but General Sinalla has requested to speak with you on the bridge."

Yang: "Okay. I think I remember the way there."

Yang moved past Jackett and began to head to the bridge to speak to General Sinalla.

Yang: "That battle was tense...and that guy...sheesh..."