Chapter 9: Over the Mountains

They all slept well that night, for they knew that the next day they were going to be able to break free of the Urgralgra once and for all. Now that Sharrag could fly he could destroy what he now considered a small force of Urgralgra relatively easily. He just needed to get out of the cave.

In the morning Sharrag was the first to wake. Angela was curled up in the middle of the Shrrg, snoring peacefully. The dragon stretched like a cat, stretching his wings and yawning. He smiled to himself as he took a flap of his wings. He couldn’t wait to reach the air again.

The Urzhad was the next to wake. She still didn’t see the significance of the healed wing. She couldn’t see how one part of the body could take one down so badly. But she was a bear, and hadn’t had the opportunity to reach the air. It was a lot easier up there. She nodded a greeting to the green dragon, which he returned. He still didn’t know why she could communicate so well with him.

Angela was the next to wake, along with the older wolves. Sharrag quickly woke the rest of them. They all needed to be ready. They all began to move around, picking up their various weapons and taking a drink from the pool, which was considerably smaller then the first time they had come. Angela strapped her arsenal of weapons around her.

“Morning,” she said to the dragon.

‘Morning,’ he replied with a bob of his head, ‘Are we ready?’

“Someone’s eager,” she laughed.

‘Been in this cave for a long time. Its getting very stuffy down here,’ he replied.

Angela nodded her head, “Understandable.”

Sharrag frowned at the large word, he was getting better at his speech but some words still confused him.

Angela sighed, “It means ‘I understand.’”

Sharrag nodded, ‘Good, then can we get moving?’

She just laughed at the dragons, “Okay, we’ll revise the plan one more time.”

All the animals in the cave crowded around each other, listening to what was being said, even if they couldn’t understand. Sharrag couldn’t help but be amused with the strange assortment of creatures. He doubted a pack of Shrrg, a dragon, an Urzhad and her cubs as well as a human had ever been seen in one place before, and getting along. Even the pups were listening.

Angela finished speaking, and Sharrag translated for the rest of them. He knew he was the most important part of the plan, but the others did have to work quickly once it was their turn. They made there way to the front of the cave, where Angela got ready to cast her magic.

“Brisingr,” she muttered, lighting up a fireball in her palm.

She thrust her hand forwards and the fireball shot out of the cave, hitting the ground and causing an explosion. Afterwards Angela muttered a few more words and the fire spread, giving Sharrag the chance to rush forward. As soon he was out in the open he spread his wings and launched himself into the air. The fiery explosion caused by Angela was put there to give him cover as he took off.