Chapter 2: Alpha

The green Shrrg was lying on the ground near the den. His tail was casually whipping side to side. He was deep in thought. Not even the wolf cubs around him were distracting him. The other Shrrg had gone out hunting, and when he tried to join the Alpha had growled, basically telling him to stay behind.

He let loose a large sigh and got to his feet. His sent out his mind to the other wolfs, seeing what they were doing. They were hunting another Nagra. He could feel there agitation with the Alpha Shrrg for not letting him come, but they listened to him nether the less.

In the past month the Alpha was getting a lot more hostile towards him. The green Shrrg was sure that the Alpha was going to force him out of the pack soon, or challenge him.

He was distracted by his thoughts as one of the cubs leapt onto his head. He growled in surprise, the rumbled a laugh. The cubs were probably the healthiest in the whole mountain range. They were well fed and they were just beginning there hunting lessons. He had been helping.

Another litter had been born as well, these were only about a week old and were really good for nothing, except eating and playing. It was one of those that was now clawing its way into the scales on his snout. He shook his head lightly, trying to see if the cub would fall off. Instead it just yelped in excitement and held on tighter.

The green Shrrg went cross-eyed, trying to see the cub. It yelped again, a playful cub grin stuck on its face. Drool was falling from it tongue and onto the Shrrg’s face. He groaned, the saliva made his scales itch.

He gently reached around with his tale and took the cub off his snout and placed it on the ground. It growled when he did lift it up and tried to bite his tail. When he put it down it yelped in either anger or disappointment and ran back into the den to find its friends.

The Shrrg chuckled again as it ran, and went back to overlooking the other Shrrg. As he touched there minds he instantly felt there primal fear. Fear of something much bigger then them. He growled in surprise when he found out that one of them, the Alpha female he was thinking, was badly injured. There was also another presence there. One that was greater, more powerful then the five wolves that were there.

He opened his wings and flew into the air, flying towards where the wolves were. They were in between two large mountains at the end of there territory. It was one of the more dangerous places. There was a two legs tracking path that lead through that area, and just recently he had seen the large brown form of the Shrrg’s main enemy and fear of these mountains. As he got closer the roars and whimpers of pain and terror told him that this was that enemy.

He tucked in his wings and shot down towards the wolves. He spotted a large brown form, around the size of a house, stalking towards the five shrrg, who had been trapped against a cliff. The Alpha was growling at the large bear, or Urzhad as it was known, trying his best to defend his tribe.

The green Shrrg growled angrily at the bear, and angled towards it. It was bigger then him, but he had wings and a stronger mind, which he used. He attacked the Urzhad’s consciousness with his own, causing it to stop and growl in confusion. Seconds later the green form of the Shrrg came from above, colliding with the bear’s back. It roared in pain as he sunk his teeth and claws into the Urzhad’s back.

It swung around wildly trying to dislodge the thing on its back. Eventually it was successful. The green shrrg was flung to the side, and landed before rolling back to its feet, growling at the bear. It growled back at the new threat, standing up on its hind legs.