Chapter 32: The Human Queen

A nervous and slightly frightened green dragon padded through the streets of the city of Ilirea, as he now knew it was called. A squadron of soldiers had surrounded him and the queen of the humans was walking in front of him. Angela had a comforting hand on his side and the elves were trailing behind.

As they walked Sharrag kept a constant eye on everything. The city was definitely large enough for a dragon his size to walk around without to much trouble, he just had to make sure his tail didn't accidently sway into a nearby human stool.

Up ahead was a large building that seemed to be where they were heading. It towered above the other buildings in the city, and seemed to be well guarded as well. They passed through a to-large set of gates and into a courtyard. There the dark skinned queen stopped and turned to face the green dragon. With a click of her fingers the soldiers around them dispersed, though Sharrag could see they were ready to attack at any sign of aggression.

Sharrag sat down on his haunches, studying the two-leg in front of him. She was of medium height, long black hair and several long scars covering her arms. There was a sense of authority about her, not that he was surprised, and he found himself impressed that she was able to stare him down with out so much of a blink of fear.

"Sharrag, I believe your name is," said Nasuada, breaking the silence.

Sharrag nodded his head.

"There is a lot I want to ask you," she continued, "You don't mind do you?"

'Depends what the questions are,' he replied to her, slightly glad for the fact she allowed him to enter her mind to talk.

A small smile played at her lips before she asked her first question, "Where have you been this whole time?"

Sharrag tilted his head, 'I hatched in the Beor Mountains and have been living with the Shrrg.'

This small bit of information seemed to surprise her and she frowned, "How long?"

Sharrag hesitated, a little unsure of how long. He knew it had to be longer then a year, but was unsure of how long. He glanced at Angela, who spoke up.

"Two years, a bit more," she said, "He's about the same age as Saphira, maybe a little older."

Nasuada nodded, "Did you know about the war?"

Sharrag wasn't surprised at this question. Every two-leg he had met so far had asked him to either join it or if he knew it. He nodded his head in reply and began to think up the answer to the next question he knew was coming.

"Why didn't you help?"

'I didn't want any part of it,' he said, 'Thought it was hardly my choice in some cases. My primary concern was my pack and everything boiled down to what could I do to protect them. I'm also a Wild dragon. I don't owe loyalty to any two-leg, besides Angela, Levial and Aradon, who have saved my life on numerous occasions.'