Prologue

A boy trudged through the forest, cutting away at the undergrowth with a large knife. Sweat trickled down his forehead as the afternoon heat cut through the trees above.

The boy stepped on something that was camouflaged in the green undergrowth, and he fell over. Pouting the boy got back up and glared at the thing that had caused his discomfort. His eyes widened in wonder.

A large green gemstone sat there, partly hidden by the undergrowth. It was oval in shape and white veins ran through it. The boy, excited by his discovery, picked it up and hurried to his hometown, Ceunon.

The boy stumbled past the guards at the gate, who let him past without questioning, before hurrying through the streets to his house. He burst through the door, squealing in excitement.

“Mum! Mum! Look what I found!” he yelled excitedly.

“What is it dear?” said the boy’s mother in a board tone.

“Look! Look!” the boy took the green stone out of his bag and slammed it on the bench.

His mother gasped in surprise, “Where did you find this?”

“In Da… Du… Wedb… the forest!” gasped the boy, not being able to find the right words.

“In Du Weldenvarden?” scolded the mum, “What did I say about going in their?”

The boy hung his head in shame, then looked at the stone, “But look what I found.”

The mother looked at the stone. A smile spread across her face. With an emerald this big they would be rich. She gently took up the stone as if it were her child.

“Go to the market, and sell it,” she said to the boy, “We will be rich.”

The boy nodded excitedly before taking the stone once again and raced to the market. He went to the nearest trader he could find and put the stone on the bench.

“How much will you buy this for sir?” asked the boy.

The tradesman at the desk looked down at the boy with surprise. He was a stocky fellow, with long garments. He looked like he had all the money in the world.

He looked at the stone and frowned, “That is a big emerald.”

“I know,” said the boy.

He tapped it with his finger and nodded to himself, “I’ll give you one hundred crowns for it.”

The boy shook his head, “One thousand.”

The man’s eyes widened in surprise, “One thousand crowns?”

The boy nodded. The man smiled gently at him, before realising the boy was serious.