Three Meaningless Words

Anna punches my heart with three simple words: I love you.

Three words shattered my life. We should ban I love you from the dictionary if for no other reason than to kill the thought of building memories from ashes of I hate you to pull heartstrings with I love you(s).

Three words ruined my dreams. I tried to get even, but Anna said the three magic words: I love you.

When I thought of leaving, I thought of her voice saying those three little words.

I think I'm safer in Anna's arms than a world without love.

Anna took a baseball bat to my dreams, beating to death a thought under a feeling.

I'm sick of silence, patting her on the back when she had become a senator and then rolling my eyes to sleep. I woke, and she a note: I love you on the coffeemaker. My heart fluttered, but I blew out my lips.

Anna's fucking every guy in the building, (or my mind is playing tricks on me, either way, I never say).

A therapist said it was all in my head. I agreed.

It was all in my head. So, I replayed Anna's voice proclaiming I love you instead.

Three words I never wanted to hear again. Who am I kiddin', I have an insatiable desire to be loved. To find love. To find someone who would love me for my perfect flaws.

A catalyst under a facade she'd lied to my face. I'm a replacement in the end.

As if an addict in need of a fix, the words I love you float off her tongue to my ears to my heart and to my shallow infatuation and back again.

Three magic words paralyze my legs from getting up and leaving, walking out the door.

Anna said she loved me.

A pastor said: You may kiss the bride.

Anna kissed me, throwing me on her bed, and suddenly, three words I'd hated should be left in the dictionary.