38 - Nathan

Leaving work now. Be home in fifteen.

Her message stared back at me from my phone, confusion striking me because she sent that half an hour ago. I knew the route to the Hound and Pheasant off the back of my hand and fifteen minutes was being generous, especially with a motorbike. Now I was sitting in the living room, perched by the island as I contemplated what to do- Iris would have texted if something was wrong- wouldn't she?

Brooke's laugh brought me from my thoughts and I stared at my sister thoughtfully from across the room before Dan seemed to notice my intense look. "Nate, are you alright?" Blinking slowly, I brought my attention to my friend whose eyebrow lifted when I didn't answer as quick as usual. "Is something wrong?"

"I don't know yet," I admitted before moving back to Brooke. "Brooklyn." The use of her full name was enough to tell her it was important as she stumbled her way over to me, already worrying at her lip. "Have you heard from Iris?"

"No, she's at Sharon's." I mentally rolled my eyes at the fact she thought that would fool me.

"I know she works at the Hound and Pheasant, I saw her there when I met with Kody. She texted me half an hour ago saying she was leaving but evidently hasn't gotten home yet." Brooke's eyes widened marginally before rounding completely at what I was telling her; she didn't know either.

"I'll call her, if she doesn't pick up..." She trailed off and her worry gleamed through her dark eyes and I couldn't help feeling as though it matched mine.

Something's happened. You know something's not right.

Brooke called Iris desperately in the kitchen but shook her head when it proved unsuccessful, so I knew something was definitely amiss. "Guys, we have a problem." Her voice was wavering as it sounded over the boisterous chatter in the living room. "Iris might be in trouble."

"What do you mean? She's at Ian's," Shane argued but Brooke looked to me.

"She got a job at the same place as Brooke and was working there tonight. I got a text half an hour ago saying she was leaving but she hasn't shown up yet and didn't pick up when Brooke called her," I explained calmly, already seeing the daunting expressions on her brothers' faces.

"A job?" Cal cried incredulously. "She has a fucking job?"

"For how long?" Harry squawked, and I groaned at how I was the one being questioned about Iris' job.

"A month, going on two," Brooke replied from the kitchen and Shane sputtered.

"You knew? You both knew and didn't tell us?" He growled at the end and I stood to my feet, already feeling the growing tension in the air.

"It was for the best," I said but Cal shot to his feet, anger cracking behind his green eyes.

"That wasn't your call to make, Nathan."

"I didn't make it- Iris did. She wanted the independence; she wanted to be in control and not have to rely on our money!" Cal stumbled as though I'd shoved him, but my hands remained at my sides as I moved my eyes over them all. "Your sister wanted to be able to do something without having to rely on one of us watching her every move, she practically begged me not to tell you unless necessary."

"You think something happened to her?" Matt queried and my nod matched Brooke's.

"It shouldn't take her half an hour to get home." She hissed and Cal dove for his keys currently splayed on the table, kicking on his shoes.

"I'll check the restaurant just in case- you're coming with me, McCoy." I only followed his demand because I knew he was just angry and worried- not the best combination for the calmest of people but for our group it could be explosive.