27 - Nathan

Iris was silent on the journey home, rocking herself a little on the chair as she looked out the window but she didn't cry again. Cal watched her carefully, expecting some sort of breakdown and even I was expecting her to yet she was calm and collected. Dan looked profoundly guilty, blaming himself for putting her through this but Cal had promised he wasn't at fault yet I knew the reassurance needed to come from Iris herself. She surprised us when she stopped halfway down the street once getting off the bus and throwing herself at Daniel, catching him off guard. Her arms went around his neck and she was almost off the ground because he was so much taller than her.

"Don't blame yourself for what happened; you did more than you think." I heard her tell him sternly before she pulled away, offered him a soft smile and turned back around to continue walking down the street as if nothing happened. Upon entering the house, I have to admit that I expected her to hide herself away for a while in her room but instead she stuck on her headphones and put her protective bubble around herself. Being so used to her music playing in the background, it was unusually quiet in the house as she naturally began working her way around the kitchen.

"Is she okay?" Harry asked, watching the eccentric behaviour Iris was showing: hiding her face, limbs moving almost painfully, detaching herself from the rest of the world with her music and her eyes cast downwards constantly. Calvin and Dan explained the events of today and hearing what the bastard did to Dan and Iris made my blood boil. I should have shot him when I had the chance- he was right in front of me. Through their explanation, Dan rubbed his faintly bruising knuckles yet I could tell he was proud of the mark he made on the Connor guy.

"This is her reaction every time they catch her unprepared and hurt her. It's how she copes with it- give her about half an hour and she'll be herself again," Shane suggested afterwards and my attention was snatched when a small body weaved its way from the kitchen as Iris held out an ice pack to Dan. Slowly, he took it and she spun on her heel to continue in the kitchen. She didn't say a word while she did and I could tell everyone hoped she would say something.

When half an hour proved that Iris still hadn't recovered from the ordeal of the afternoon, everyone else seemed to deflate at the lack of acknowledgement Iris gave. "I'm going for a smoke- you coming?" Harry looked expectantly to me but he shouldn't need to ask- I rarely said no to a smoke. Dan remained seated, gratefully accepting the warm mug Iris passed him now, the steam swirling upwards around his face and his smile tense as he refused our suggestion.

Harry and I stood in content silence on the patio, inhaling the sickly smoke of a cigarette and exhaling the pale cloud. The silence was peaceful, the soft clattering of Iris' work faint through the slightly closed door while the murmurings of my friends were slightly louder. I didn't miss the sound of a car entering the driveway and the front door opening. I peered around the French doors where Iris was oblivious to my stare as she continued to move around the kitchen with such familiarity I knew Mum would be proud. Jade's high pitched voiced sounded, words stabbing my ears as she questioned where I was. Whenever I was out here for a smoke, Jade never came out- the one thing she actually learnt to not do.

"Looks like the witch is home," Harry stated, putting out his cigarette against the wall. I must have been too absorbed with my thoughts because he'd finished his but mine was practically untouched. Groaning with distaste, I went to stomp it out, wasting a perfectly good light but I was saved when my phone went off. Harry scoffed at my good fortune as he slipped inside, allowing me the privacy of the whole garden to answer.

"McCoy."

"I thought that was my line," Dad joked in answer to my greeting and I rolled my eyes at him, "except I can at least say it with a little more enthusiasm."