"Paps, I don't have a boyfriend."

"You don't?"

"No!" I chuckle at his dramatics. "I'm not going anywhere, you know that."

Dad knows I'm an intelligent girl and just wants to best for me, so he always freaks out at the thought of me succumbing to a meaningless lifestyle of sleeping around with garbage men. Not that I'd ever do that.

I spare him a hug before finally walking away. "I'll be back before dinner this time. Promise."

"Ok pumpkin. Just don't leave me hanging too long, or I'm watching Fast & Furious without you."

"Like hell you are!" I wave whilst leaving.

══════ ⋆★⋆ ══════
— NOW —

I follow JK into the steel, graffiti-drenched alleyway door I've been curious about. It's an open planned car park that's been transformed into a hangout. Booze, couches, neon signs, pool tables, arcade machines and gaming consoles. They literally have everything.

"Whoa..."

"This is where the racers come to cool off and bring back their earnings after a race, so you won't be here much."

"What's in that room?" I point.

"That's Big Joe's office. Don't go in there."

"Why?"

"Boss' doesn't like anyone coming near his money. You're fortunate to even be seeing this place... Come." He pulls my wrist up the stairs that lead us back to the familiar backstreet.

It feels strange seeing the racing alleyway during day time. There's no crowd of people, no neon signs, and less luxury cars out, though I guess that's part of keeping a low profile.

"Yoohoo." JK snaps his fingers at my eyes.

Once I return him my attention, the muscular man crouches to lift up the narrow steel garage gate built into the alleyway wall. His display of tattoos, ripply shoulder blades and rag that somehow cooly hangs from his jean pocket is distracting, to say the least.

A shadowy cast travels up my body when it's lifted all the way to reveal a mini mechanics workshop.

"This is where you'll be set up."

"You're kidding." I enter the room and look around. There's not much equipment to accompany the shelves yet, I'll have to bring more tools and memorabilia to really make it feel like home. But the purple LED strip lights and modern grey counters give the rustic room a cozier feel.

"When a car needs tuning, you can either bring it in here or bring your toolbox to the car, depending on the circumstance. You'll get a cut whenever a car you've worked on wins a race."

"Got it." He hands me the keys.

"One thing though"