The Ball - Day 5

The shining sun blinded Jayne's vision as she stirred from her slumber. As she gained consciousness she felt her head throbbing as if she were hungover of her grief.  She noticed herself in a yellow-beige room in a comfortable bed. She looked onward and saw Desmideus sitting in a chair. She sat up, ruffling the sheets that grabbed his attention. His solemn appearance morphed into concern, "You're up, are you okay?" He stood up and gently approached her.

"What happened?" She grabbed her head as if she were trying to grab onto her memories.

"Oh, god, Abraham!" She cried and tried to leap out but Des restrained her.

"Calm down, calm down." He held her, but she was struggling to get out of his grasp as he overpowered her.

"No! No! NO!" She cried, writhing, "Where is he? Where is he!" She dug her nails into his arms, hoping to inflict pain so he would let go of her.

"He's alive!" Des exclaimed in hopes to calm her. He felt her relax in his arms.

"What?" The tears that poured out morphed from pain to joy, "Really?" Her voice quivered, praying he was not lying.

"Yes." He cooed, stroking her arms, "He's in the infirmary under critical condition, but... he's alive."

"Can I see him?" The tears in her eyes caused them to sparkle, and looking into them, Des felt compelled to grant any desire she wished for. But he had to be sensible, he had to look away in order to not give in to temptation.

"It's..." He looked down, "not the best time, he's unconscious anyway, and you need to rest." He grabbed her hand and finally looked at her again, "After last night, I don't think you're in the best condition to see the state he's in."

More tears swelled in her eyes at the thought of him being in horrible pain.

"Hey, hey, it's alright." He pulled her in for an embrace, her body melted into his and he relished her warmth surrounding his body, he almost moaned but knew that would be extremely inappropriate. 

It wasn't even anything sexual. It just felt... right. It was intimate but in a more comforting than amorous way. What Desmideus lacked in a mother figure he tried to fill with numerous women. There would always be sparks at the start but they would always flicker away in due time.

But not with Jayne. Des wasn't even sure if there were sparks there in the first place. Sure, she was pretty, she is pretty, and at first, he definitely had his intentions but has time evolved those intentions changed. She was funny, sometimes mean but it never came with any real ill intent, it was actually endearing half the time. He let the spark he initially felt when he first saw her die when she was assertive that she had no intention of anything of the sort with him.

In it's replace was a candle. Not as bright, but lasted much, much longer. He remembered her flustered face when he faked being in love, how cute her face was as it became red from embarrassment and frustration. But now he didn't know what he felt. He forgot what love felt like the day his mother died.

Whilst in his thoughts, he felt Jayne stiffen in his arms, "Are you okay?" He looked down on her only to feel himself shiver at her facial expression, for a small girl, she was terrifying.

"Chris..." She hissed," He did this..." She then grabbed onto Des' jacket, pulling him towards her, "Where is he?" 

Des could see the fire that burned in her eyes, a newfound rage on her face that would make anyone instantly turn to stone when looking at it, "Jayne..." He grabbed her wrists, attempting to soothe her, "You can't blame him, he was doing his job, Abraham wasn't invited and he tried to kill someone, he was just following orders." He looked hesitantly into her eyes, hoping she would understand.