Part 10

"You're, you're like me, you're not from here, are you?"

Roderick shifted in his place, his arm shaking, "No..." He sighed in relief, "Thank God there's someone else like me here." He ran towards her bed and sat on the edge, "What the hell is this place? I thought at first I travelled to the past, but seeing this world it's obviously not."

Jayne gulped, "So you have... no idea?"

"Do- do you know what the world is?"

Jayne looked to the side and laughed uncomfortably, "This is a video game world, we're trapped inside a video game."

Roderick paled, "R-right." He looked like he was going to break down, "What's this game called?"

"Well..." Jayne thought, "I- I don't remember... It's not like knowing it would help."

"I- I have a family, a child!" He stood up, pacing around, "I need to get back to them, oh my god..."

"How do you remember that? I don't remember anything about my personal life." Jayne's voice quivered.

"I- I don't remember their faces or their names, but- I can remember their love, that, they exist."

Jayne held back the tears that choked her. She never felt the love of anyone else from Earth, her memories were that of the news, certain big events, but nothing personal. Thinking about it, she wasn't even sure if she actually died, she just assumed.

"Maybe-" Roderick tapped his foot, "Maybe if we complete this game, we'll return to the real world." He sat down on the bed again, "Do you know how to complete this game?" He grabbed onto her hand

"I-" Jayne meekly nodded, "This game... it's... uh how do I put this... the game's main objective is romance, you play as a character called Octavia Nightshade and the game ends when she marries one of her potential suitors, unfortunately, there is no 'independent woman' ending, she has to marry or otherwise we'd get a bad ending."

" A bad ending is still an ending, we can just wait it out, wait for this Octavia girl to get married, or not, it's fine either way." He reassured himself.

"Perhaps, but... if this world achieves a 'bad' ending, I can only fear the worse, our best chances are if we achieve the true ending, which... I never got to complete... it's really hard, I googled it and it was extremely complex, unfortunately, I haven't memorised it."

"Well do you remember anything."

"There are five different 'true' endings for each lover, they're all scrambled in my mind."

"Well, which one do you remember most vividly."

"I- I guess Desmideus, he is the main boy in all of this, it ends with Octavia and him getting the villainess Selene to actually confess and repent for her crimes, which is very hard to do, and them claiming Thrinacia, the country which Selene is Princess of, I remember the ending, but not how to get there, plus, I've met Octavia, she's not like us, it would be very difficult to achieve that."

"Wait... is this game some kind of visual novel dating sim?"

"Y-yes."

"And you mean to tell me that the crown Prince Desmideus Zatara is one of the main 'love interests.?"

Just wait until I tell you your one of them too, "This game is meant for teenage girls, of course, one love interests is a prince, what kind of girl doesn't want to date a prince?"

"I don't know... maybe the kind of girl that wants to date a princess?"

Jayne closed her eyes and took in a deep breathe, "Listen... I'm all for gay rights and stuff, but now is not the time for jokes!" Jayne sighed and gripped the sheets, "Anyway... it's probably noteworthy to mention that your character, Roderick Oquare, is a... love interest."

His jaw dropped, " Well that was pertinent information you could've told me earlier, I'll just be the love interest and you just tell me what to do, it'll be easy."

"Okay, well first off," She lifted a hand and pointed at him, " Octavia is crazy, you don't want to get involved with her, and secondly... I never finished your route, you were honestly quite boring."

Roderick glared into her soul, "Excuse me?"

"I meant your character... not you, you're obviously a different person from the actual Roderick Oquare."

Roderick sighed, "How is this Octavia 'crazy' anyway."

Jayne rubbed her nose, "She wanted a boy dead just because he slapped her, like, I get being mad at him, but death is a bit excessive!"

"Okay... so I just have to make sure I don't hit her."

"Did- did you hear what I just said! Not only that, but the boy's father took his place, an innocent man died, and Octavia did not do anything to stop it." Jayne started to cry, "I, it's my fault he's dead." She whimpered, "I just, I don't want you to get hurt because of me."

Roderick embraced her one of her hand's with both of his own, "I understand your caution, but I don't want to whither and grey here, plus, I'm a noble, she can't just order to kill me."

"I guess... but I don't want to get involved, that boy, he's... dear to me, and he lives in the capital, if he runs into Octavia, I'm scared of what would happen to him."

"Does Octavia live in the capital?"

"No... but it's when the game starts, Desmideus' eighteenth's ball is when the game starts and she meets all the characters, granted she already knew Abraham beforehand but they were virtually strangers, he's the man who's horse pulls her carriage into the Telepylos."

"Wait." He grabbed her hand tighter, "This boy, Abraham? The same boy Octavia wanted dead?" Jayne nodded, "He's a love interest? And Octavia tried to kill one of her love interests?" Jayne paused but nodded again.

"Holy shit." He let go and stood up, "Why would she do that?"

"Well... Octavia and I were friends, but one day, she gave me this cookie and when I ate it, I fainted, Abraham accused her of poisoning me and hit her."

Roderick laughed sadly, "Oh... I see, does Octavia... like girls, perhaps?"

Jayne's face grew red, "I'm sure she wanted him dead because he hit her over anything else, plus, all routes are heterosexual, it's not in her programming."

Roderick's countenance clenched, "Okay... well, I'll still keep an eye out, but for now, I'll attend the ball and meet and try to court her, you should get that boy Abraham out of Telepylos before the ball if you're so concerned about him." He paced around

"Are really sure you want to do this?"

"It's the only way, how will I find Octavia?"

"Oh trust me, when you see her you'll know, you two meet in the outside gardens in the maze, by the way, I don't know if it would be more helpful to stick on the script, but she should go in the maze at some point, if not, then I guess find her."

"Okay..." Roderick headed for the door, "Have a nice night, the gun didn't hit any bone, so it should only take a few weeks before it's fully healed."

"Thanks..." Jayne cuddled into her duvet, "Night."

-

A/n: Now that we've met all 'love interests' which one is your favourite and why?