Memories

A/N: Got a nice, extra long chapter for y'all! There have been a lot of downs so far,  so even though we can't depart from the depressing quite yet, I decided to mix it up just a bit. :) Let me know if y'all enjoy the change of pace. I always love hearing from my lovely readers! 

 "What the hell happened?" Mark snapped from his wheelchair.

Derek was pacing, trying to fight the panic but to no end. "I know about as much as you do!"

"No! No, she was fine a few seconds ago, Derek. We were..." He let his head fall into his hands. "What the hell happened?"

Derek whirled on his best friend, shouting, "I told you I don't know!"

"I mean back then Derek! What the hell happened to make her like this? She changed overnight and pills don't do that to a person overnight."

Derek stared for a moment. He knew Mark was right, but he had no earthly clue as to how everything had started. He sighed in defeat. "I wish I knew, but... The one person who knows that is currently trying to get here to help in a way that only she knows how so-"

"Where is she?" A familiar voice snapped from behind him. He turned to see his youngest sister running towards him dragging a suitcase with worry written all over her face. "Derek, where the hell is she?"

He stepped towards her, trying to calm her. "Amelia she's in surgery but-"

She set her suitcase down, hugging her brother. As she processed his words, she pushed back, looking up at him in confusion. "Wait. Your last message said that she was awake and being difficult. What the hell happened? Why is she back in surgery?"

Mark rolled forward. "Her heart stopped... again. Altman had to take her in."

Amelia's eyes locked on him. She leaned down, hugging him tightly even as she began to cry. "Hey, Mark," she whispered.

"Hey little A."

She stepped back, wiping away her tears. "Um... Okay. Okay, so tell me the truth. Scale of one to getting mom to fly out how bad is it?" She looked to Derek, who opened his mouth, but no words came out. His eyes filled with tears as he looked down to the ground, unable to articulate just what they were dealing with.

Mark managed to find the words he couldn't. With his voice choked, he answered, "Amelia she's on drugs again and it's... It breaks the scale of what I've seen in this family. We um... We called your mom when we called you. She should be on her way"

Amelia stared. For a moment, her face was frozen. She took a step back, easing herself into a nearby chair. Her head fell into her hands as she stared straight down at the floor. "No..." she whispered. "No... Derek tell me that he's wrong. Tell me this isn't-"

He watched his youngest sister, wishing with everything in him that he could say that it wasn't true. He wished that he could tell her that Mark was mistaken. Instead he could only watch as his baby sister took in the information that he was already forced to process. "There's something else." That, Derek wasn't expecting. He turned to his best friend, confused as to where he was going with this. "Derek, you might want to sit down next to her for a second." Instantly, Derek felt as if he couldn't breathe. He moved to the seat next to Amelia, his stomach in knots as she looked up.

He listened carefully as Mark leaned forward in his chair, tears in his eyes. "I think this time she's done, guys." Derek's brow furrowed in confusion. Amelia's mouth fell open and she began to sob. Derek looked back and forth between his sister and his best friend in confusion. "She's reaching a point of no return, Derek. Hell, I think she's already-" Mark paused, trying to get control of the tears that were once again flowing freely. "She knows what she's doing to herself Derek. She's done."