Worrying

Mark's eyes flew to Callie as she entered his room, eyes slightly red as if she had been crying. "What happened?" he asked, sitting up to hear.

Dr. Torres hesitated, her mouth opening and closing before she could finally get words out. "Um... Well she's breathing on her own, so that's good."

He nodded; arms crossed. "Good. And?"

She hesitated. "And um... She's gonna need a lot more surgeries-"

"Torres, I heard all of this crap two days ago, yesterday, and today just like all of the rest of you. What the hell happened that made you cry?"

She stared for a moment, trying desperately to think of what to say. "Um... Well, she's very weak and um... She's not talking, really. She's-" the Ortho surgeon stopped, clearing her throat as she tried not to cry. "She's shutting Derek out. And Meredith. And-" She stopped again. "I thought you said this has been a problem before."

He nodded, confused. "It has been. Since... God, since she was in college."

Calliope sighed, raising her hands in confusion. "Well she doesn't seem to know that!"

"What do you mean?"

"Mark, you should have seen her face when I brought up the word addict. She turned into a different person." She shook her head, seemingly haunted by the memory before the words began to flood. "She started screaming, Mark. She doesn't think she's an addict and she won't talk about any of it because she says it's under control, but it's not. It's so clearly not."

Sloan sighed, falling back down in his bed as he put his hands over his eyes. "Bull," he growled. "That's... She knows that this is a problem. This has always been a problem! She can't..." He groaned, swinging his legs over the side of the bed.

Instantly, Callie rushed towards him. "Woah! Woah, no Mark! This is not the deal!"

"Torres, that girl has gone off the rails again! I am not gonna sit in my bed and wait around for her to push herself any further!"

The orthopedic surgeon hesitated, before finally blurting, "Okay Mark! If you get back in the bed I will tell you what else she said."

Finally, she seemed to get his attention. He instantly stopped resisting and laid back in his bed. "Spill," he bit out.

Callie sighed, watching him carefully before slowly continuing. "She um... She was very surprised when Derek said she had been having heart attacks. Which makes sense since she probably had most of her symptoms when she was in a drunken and or insanely high stupor. Except..." She hesitated, fighting tears as she tried to figure out what to say. "Except I think maybe she didn't. I think maybe she knew something was wrong and she didn't care." The plastic surgeon leaned forward, a new, disturbing kind of light in his eyes, but Callie was so lost in her thoughts at this point that it didn't matter. "She had this outburst and she said something and I think she knows that she's killing herself Mark."

The older doctor closed his eyes, letting out a deep sigh. "Okay," he whispered. "That's good to know. Thanks Torres."

She stared, snapped from her memories by his calmness. She had expected a bigger reaction. Whether anger or sadness or something, but she had not expected a thank you and silence. "Okay, um clearly you're tired. I'll um... I'll let you rest."
Mark nodded, watching her as she left. No sooner was she out of his sight than he swung his legs back over the side of the bed. "I'm gonna kill that girl," he grunted.